Poor eye…help!

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
This little was born with a cyst type thing right over its eye….it’s about 3 weeks old now and today it looks like this….I have now isolated it because I’m thinking the others got curious and started pecking maybe. It’s never bled before and you could see it’s eyeball. Advice please 😢

Current:
2CA73040-69AB-4006-ADCC-CACEA590A3E3.jpeg
777FAA1F-6018-4825-A0E2-D1D3118148C9.jpeg

Couple of days old:
E0FEC980-B48C-4C45-864E-369240DC3189.jpeg

The left nostril looks a bit pecked as well. I would clean the eye with saline eye wash or Vetericyn eye was or eye gel at least 2-3 times a day. You can also put a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment into the eye twice a day after flushing the eye. Is there any way to keep the chick with the others, but divided with a little screen so she won’t be lonely?

The left nostril looks a bit pecked as well. I would clean the eye with saline eye wash or Vetericyn eye was or eye gel at least 2-3 times a day. You can also put a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment into the eye twice a day after flushing the eye. Is there any way to keep the chick with the others, but divided with a little screen so she won’t be lonely?

I have them divided with cardboard now but I’ll have my husband build me a screen divider tomorrow. Got his eye rinsed with saline eye wash and triple antibiotic applied.

The eye is looking better but whatever this is that it was born with is definitely growing…. What should I do?
0B101C82-D695-4613-9402-32A900AFB722.jpeg
D67AF3D4-5087-41AB-9EE6-8DE5C4F27941.jpeg
309DF66C-9A54-4559-838F-CC91377B5697.jpeg

Can you try to lance it and empty fluid or pus into a tissue or gauze, paying attention to not getting it in the chicken’s eye? Is a vet possible for you?

Can you try to lance it and empty fluid or pus into a tissue or gauze, paying attention to not getting it in the chicken’s eye? Is a vet possible for you?

No vets around here for poultry and we do love our chickens but we don’t take them to vets. I do work at a hospital in radiology and have a good wound care nurse friend that might help me out!

Okay here we are today, much worse…. I have a scapula and a 25g needle and syringes…..can someone please advice me on how to try and lance or aspirate??? Afterward should I continue with saline flush and get some terramycin??

9C0F19B0-5B5C-4160-A1CC-79B062BFF0FE.jpeg

59C33191-D067-475F-8C46-A70092F660EA.jpeg

@casportpony or @Eggcessive

Last edited:
Does the swollen area feel solid, soft, or fluid-filled? I would lance it with the scalpel blade just enough to make a small slit. Disinfect the site beforehand. That is just to see if anything can be squeezed out. Since it is around the eye, take care not to squeeze too hard. Let us know what is inside, or if it is just swollen tissue.

Does the swollen area feel solid, soft, or fluid-filled? I would lance it with the scalpel blade just enough to make a small slit. Disinfect the site beforehand. That is just to see if anything can be squeezed out. Since it is around the eye, take care not to squeeze too hard. Let us know what is inside, or if it is just swollen tissue.

Since it’s so close to the eye what should I use to disinfect with before?

Chlorhexidene is good, and if using betadine just apply with a QTip. It doesn’t matter too much what you use, just try not to drip it into the eye.

Back
Top Bottom