potato peelings - cooked OK?

Bram

Chirping
15 Years
May 7, 2009
Southeastern Illinois
I notice on the BYCchicken treat chart that potatoes are good to feed if cooked. So, do I cook the peelings and give to them? Why are raw peelings not suggested?

cooked or baked is ok, peel or potato... I think the substance that is harmful is solanine and that's why you should not feed raw potato peel or green parts. Solanine is toxic to humans too. I think it occurs in species of nightshade plants and as far as I remember all parts of the potato plant contains solaine.... I'll have to google it for more detail....can't remember
th.gif

Raw green potato peelings can contain enough of a substance that eating enough of them can produce toxic effects. I don't remember exactly what the potential toxin is. Odds are it wouldn't happen but it can happen. First they have to be green like I said to really have much in them and then your chickens would have to eat enough. I don't worry about it too much with most of my animals but I don't go out of my way to give them potato peels either. Those usually get tossed outside and if the chickens find them they find them. If they don't something else does or the peels quickly break down.

Back
Top Bottom