Problems hatching / sticky chick

Phenomenalchooks

Chirping
Oct 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

I need some advice please on hatching as today I've had one of my worst hatches to date.
I would like to call myself an experienced hatcher as I've done this for many years but my success rate seems to be dropping, so much so that I'm starting to not look forward to day 21 anymore ☹️

I use 2 incbators: brinsea ovation ex for days 1-18 set at 37.5 degrees C and 45% humidity. Eggs are then transferred to an Rcom Pro for days 18-hatch.
Using this method I would get approx 70% hatch and would always get some fully formed chicks that died before internally pipped.

I then experimented with the above method but trying a dry hatch from days 1-18. My brinsea with no water stays around 36-40% humidity. I then transferred to Rcom on day 18 and set humidity to 70%.

So using the later method, I've found myself having to help 4 out of the 5 chicks out as once externally pipped their membranes went like glue and rock hard! Non of the chicks fluffed up and dried hard and glue like. So much so that I've just spent the past half an hour washing and blow drying day old chicks :barnie

What on earth went wrong?! I've lowered my humidity compared to what I'd normally do, lost 7 out of 12 chicks and the ones that hatched look like they've had a fight with wall paper paste?!?!

Hi everyone,

I need some advice please on hatching as today I've had one of my worst hatches to date.
I would like to call myself an experienced hatcher as I've done this for many years but my success rate seems to be dropping, so much so that I'm starting to not look forward to day 21 anymore ☹

I use 2 incbators: brinsea ovation ex for days 1-18 set at 37.5 degrees C and 45% humidity. Eggs are then transferred to an Rcom Pro for days 18-hatch.
Using this method I would get approx 70% hatch and would always get some fully formed chicks that died before internally pipped.

I then experimented with the above method but trying a dry hatch from days 1-18. My brinsea with no water stays around 36-40% humidity. I then transferred to Rcom on day 18 and set humidity to 70%.

So using the later method, I've found myself having to help 4 out of the 5 chicks out as once externally pipped their membranes went like glue and rock hard! Non of the chicks fluffed up and dried hard and glue like. So much so that I've just spent the past half an hour washing and blow drying day old chicks :barnie

What on earth went wrong?! I've lowered my humidity compared to what I'd normally do, lost 7 out of 12 chicks and the ones that hatched look like they've had a fight with wall paper paste?!?!

Oh and if makes any difference, I'm hatching Orpingtons; maybe they're not as robust as other breeds to hatch??

Sticky chicks are usually the result of either low incubation temperature, high incubation humidity, improper turning (that reduces nutrient absorption), old eggs or very large eggs.

Sticky chicks are usually the result of either low incubation temperature, high incubation humidity, improper turning (that reduces nutrient absorption), old eggs or very large eggs.

The only thing I can think of is for the first week my brinsea stopped turning and I didn't notice for a few days. Would this haveade that much difference so early on??

The only thing I can think of is for the first week my brinsea stopped turning and I didn't notice for a few days. Would this haveade that much difference so early on??
I'll bet that was the problem. Eggs not turned during days 4-7 will seriously affect nutrient uptake because the extra embryonic membranes didn't develop and why albumen is left behind at hatch.

Here's the science behind it.
https://www.pasreform.com/en/knowledge/10/the-biology-behind-egg-turning

Back
Top Bottom