PVC pipe feeders, how many per 4 hens?

tigger19687

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
Metrowest- Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
I can't figure out how many feeders per (enter number) of Hens?
If you have 4 hens do you have 3. 10 hens 7 ? One for each hen?

Is there a way of figuring it out?
Now I know that they don't usually all eat at the same time.

I was thinking 4, 3 for feed and 1 for Oyster shells. Or should I only do 2 since they are 3" pipes?

I was thinking 4, 3 for feed and 1 for Oyster shells. Or should I only do 2 since they are 3" pipes?
The general rule is 3" of feeder per chicken, but I don't think the chickens care. 2 would probably be fine, but if 4 aren't too much of a problem I'd go with that.

I have a small flock (6 birds)& have a 4" pvc feeder that they take turns feeding from. I attached a "tee" with two elbows at the bottom so that a total of four birds can comfortably feed from at one time. The last two at the bottom of the "pecking order" have to wait their turn. I don't yet have an oyster shell grit dispenser, but I toss out oyster shell in the yard & they free-range in our flint-rich acres.

If I were using 3" pvc, I think that my birds would still benefit from using a "tee" with the 2 elbows & still have enough room for 2 birds to share feeding rights at one time. In the case where I didn't have free range available, I would set up one "grit" auto-feeder for every 8-16 birds. I am attaching a photo of my set-up. Hope that helps!

Here's a pic I promised in my earlier post...
IMG_20170512_190131622.jpg

I have a small flock (6 birds)& have a 4" pvc feeder that they take turns feeding from. I attached a "tee" with two elbows at the bottom so that a total of four birds can comfortably feed from at one time. The last two at the bottom of the "pecking order" have to wait their turn. I don't yet have an oyster shell grit dispenser, but I toss out oyster shell in the yard & they free-range in our flint-rich acres.

If I were using 3" pvc, I think that my birds would still benefit from using a "tee" with the 2 elbows & still have enough room for 2 birds to share feeding rights at one time. In the case where I didn't have free range available, I would set up one "grit" auto-feeder for every 8-16 birds. I am attaching a photo of my set-up. Hope that helps!
I can't visualize a Tee fitting that has two elbows... anyone can try to explain. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom