Raw milk source in Kansas

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
I will be driving from Ft. Riley to Colorado in March after flying to see my son on the military base. I will be driving his car back to my place since he wont be needing it while he is in Iraq.
tongue.png

Does anyone know of a place off of I-70 that is a good source for raw cow's milk?

I did find some places from the real milk website but they are any extra 1-2 hours out of the way.

Know of any? I particularly want cream, but whole raw milk will work too.

Well, you could try the Real Milk website

You must have missed the part of my post where I say I already checked the real milk website
big_smile.png

I r a nerd. I try to find answers myself first and usually only post questions like this when my google fu powers fail me. They are failing me right now.
barnie.gif

We lovelovelove our raw milk! Will never drink dead milk ever again, sickly stuff.

I am so jealous!

Stop by my house and we can go out and grab a bite to eat.

I will PM you as soon as I know dates and times. I know it will be a very short visit, but I will be on post for sure at some point.​

The problem you are going to run into, even if you found a dairy, is that you will have to purchase a cow share as well. Its not legal to walk onto a farm and just buy milk and cream.
Sorry you did not find one on RM. The little guys often do not know about that site, and many also just prefer to remain under the wire.
I grew up in Kansas, and I know of only one reputable farmer in the Lawrence area, but they are very selective about the customers they allow to have cow shares. The other one, well, lest just say, my dad walked out of there and never went back, after he saw the conditions
sickbyc.gif

Personally, I would make the extra side trip, if you found a farm that would work with you.
Let them know well in advance, so they can have enough product for you.

Last edited:
The problem you are going to run into, even if you found a dairy, is that you will have to purchase a cow share as well. Its not legal to walk onto a farm and just buy milk and cream.

In Colorado this is true. In Kansas, it is legal to sell raw milk. The laws on this vary from state to state. I figured since I would be in a state where it is legal to buy raw milk, I would get a cooler and bring some home.

"On-farm retail sales" of raw milk and raw milk products are legal to the "final consumer." The farmer can only advertise the sales of raw dairy with a sign posted on the farm. The sign must state that the milk or milk products are raw. Farmers must clearly label as "ungraded raw milk" each container of unpasteurized milk for sale.

Farmers whose business consists only of on-farm sales of raw milk do not need a license to operate. The Department of Agriculture considers farmers selling raw butter or cream to be running a "dairy manufacturing plant" and requires them to obtain a dairy manufacturing plant license.

The state does not inspect farmers selling raw milk and raw milk products on a routine basis like they inspect farmers selling Grade A raw milk for pasteurization. They only inspect raw milk and raw milk product sellers if there is a complaint."​

Quote:
In Colorado this is true. In Kansas, it is legal to sell raw milk. The laws on this vary from state to state. I figured since I would be in a state where it is legal to buy raw milk, I would get a cooler and bring some home.

"On-farm retail sales" of raw milk and raw milk products are legal to the "final consumer." The farmer can only advertise the sales of raw dairy with a sign posted on the farm. The sign must state that the milk or milk products are raw. Farmers must clearly label as "ungraded raw milk" each container of unpasteurized milk for sale.

Farmers whose business consists only of on-farm sales of raw milk do not need a license to operate. The Department of Agriculture considers farmers selling raw butter or cream to be running a "dairy manufacturing plant" and requires them to obtain a dairy manufacturing plant license.

The state does not inspect farmers selling raw milk and raw milk products on a routine basis like they inspect farmers selling Grade A raw milk for pasteurization. They only inspect raw milk and raw milk product sellers if there is a complaint."

You still have to buy a share though.

No. Not in Kansas. In Colorado, you can only get raw milk with a cow share. Each state is different.

I think half the state of Wisconsin was raised on raw milk. It's just that nobody knew about it because people had their own cows. Maybe they will get some sense and let people decide for themselves what they want to do.

Back
Top Bottom