Red Star "Hen" or "Rooster"

"Hen" or "Rooster"

• Hen

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Rooster

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

I bought 4 black stars who all turned out to be hens, they were a pairing of Rhode Island Red Roo to a Barred Rock Hen, and at the same time bought 2 Red Star hens. The red star hens were the offspring of a pairing of Rhode Island Red Roo to a Rhode Island White Hen. I bought all six of these chickens from a local farm, who is well respected in this area for breeding and selling chickens. I can go take pictures of the red star that is his/her sister, who is definitely a hen. They look very different. The suspected roo pictured above had the head of a rooster but lacks the saddle feathers. He/she is almost a year old and just started crowing, even with the presence of a salmon faverolle rooster that leads the flock. I was wondering if this could be some kind of weird fluke, and this is actually a Roo?
Lol, if he's started crowing, he's a rooster. It is weird that he doesn't have saddle feathers, though. Maybe he's a hermaphrodite. If he lays an egg, be sure to let us know!
big_smile.png

I'm pretty sure this chicken lacks the ability to lay eggs or fertilize them, I just hatched out 10 eggs, all of which were definitely offspring of my faverolle rooster, because they all had the five toes. I never see this chicken in a laying box either. So I thought it might be some sort of genetic fluke that is sterile. Just wondered if anyone has seen something like this happen before when producing "red stars"? Maybe I should donate it to the local Veterinary hospital to be studied, lol. I do like the chicken though, even though he/she wont be much of a utility chicken.

I think it's a neat looking bird. Regardless of being able to lay/fertilize eggs, it would be pretty cool to keep around as a novelty.
smile.png

Just snapped a couple more pics. The top pic is from today of the chicken in question, the bottom pic is of his/her sister that is one of my best hens, just for comparison. They were hatched beginning of march this year, so about nine months old. I'm going to keep him/her for sure. Thanks for the quick replies.

Back
Top Bottom