Selling chickens

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
I have been looking to downsize on my flock recently and when I went to my local feed store there were zero chicks. I am looking to sell 3 red sex links and 1 buff Orpington. I want to charge 80$ but do you think that people would pay that?

I say go for it, no harm in trying. I wouldn't be surprised if you found some takers, but it probably depends most on where you live, local population size, etc.

I have been looking to downsize on my flock recently and when I went to my local feed store there were zero chicks. I am looking to sell 3 red sex links and 1 buff Orpington. I want to charge 80$ but do you think that people would pay that?
People are selling laying chickens less than 2 years old here for $20 each so that's a reasonable price you are asking.

Location matters. Age of birds matters.

I plan to sell 1 rooster and 3 hens, all 12 months old, all same APA recognized breed, that have been penned together as a single group, no other chickens with them (so if someone wanted to hatch eggs of that breed, they could gather right away). I expect $60-80, but will sell at a livestock auction. At the auction, I do not control the bids-it all depends who is there and what they are interested in. I also cannot control how they are sold bc someone may want only the hens and the highest bidder can take what they want (some or all) and if any are left, bidding starts again. I pay a commission, but I also don’t have to deal with any individual or meet them somewhere, or get stood up if they don’t show…or “oops” they didn’t bring enough money as agreed upon (hoping for a deal). I’ll label the group I’m selling, hope for $60+ and will get around 80% of sale price.

Back
Top Bottom