Sexing day old standard Dark Brahma

Borncountry419

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Rockford, MN (near minneapolis
I read somewhere that you can sex a Dark Brahma chick by it's color, females darker cloudy gray and males lighter and more silver. Is there any validity to this? I picked up a few st.run Dark Brahma chicks from TSC, and I picked the ones that were a darker cloudy gray. If they're more likely to be hens, I plan on going back and buying more of the "hen" ones. Lol.
smile.png
Thanks!

No, day olds look the same.
This is a roo & his progression
51143_040.jpg

51143_034.jpg

51143_071.jpg

51143_051.jpg

51143_043b.jpg

Around this time is when I could tell for sure it wa a roo...when his lacing was falling out & dark green feathers were growing in...the females will keep the lacing
51143_112.jpg

51143_115.jpg

51143_038bob.jpg

51143_snow_bob.jpg

Oh, that's good to know. I've got two and one has a dark head and one has a frosted head. The frosted head, Galena, is a sweetie - loves to nap on you when you pick her up. The dark head, Garnet, has just decided she loves hanging out on my shoulder. I want them both to stay pullets!

Yeah that must have been bs then. Lol. Because both of the "hen" chicks I picked look like your bird did as a baby. But they also had much lighter colored ones, that's why I figured there could have been some truth in it. Maybe I'll go pick up a few more to ensure at least one hen. What's the temperament of your roo?

One thing that I have read is that the females of this breed get longer wing and tail feathers early. I am just hatching my first group of Brahmas and waiting to see if this is true. The breeder I bought some of my eggs from confirmed that this is what she sees as well. I am hoping that I get a much better ratio than the 4 to 1 I got on my last hatch. Beautiful roo by the way!

Thanks! Bob is a good roo. He is pretty laid back & takes care of his hens. He is huge..my other hens are Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks & Wyandotes & he is so big that during the winter my 3 BO's will hide underneath of him to keep warm like baby chicks. It is pretty funny.

51143_bob_sam.jpg

And he did not exact any revenge on me for dressing him up like Santa either, lol.
51143_santa_bob.jpg

Back
Top Bottom