Should I get quail?

sawyerdog110

Hatching
Jul 5, 2016
Hello everyone! I've been wanting chickens for a long while, but I don't have a huge backyard. Not to mention I have neighbors close by. I would be heartbroken if I got noise complaints from chickens. So, I researched about other poultry, and came across quail. They fit the bill perfectly. My question is, are quail affectionate? If I were to raise a few quail chicks would they grow to like me, or would the be skittish and independent? I would own quails just for the company (the eggs are a nice addition as well) so it's sorta important that they are somewhat affectionate.

I think it depends on the type of quail. I hear California valley (the ones you probably see running on the street) are very skiddish and eventually run away if you let them out. I like the coturnix quail (or Japanese quail) they are affectionate and are not loud and can be kept in a very small area. And they lay lots of little eggs. :)

I wouldn't call my coturnix affectionate but they aren't skiddish. They don't mind being held but I don't do that often. They will eat from my hand and they have no problem running around my hands as I feed, change water, clean the cage, or collect eggs. I did start hand feeding them very early so they got used to my hand. I also used a brooder that opened form the side. That helps them not be so afraid of you, since you don't look like a predator coming at them from above.

You will need to be mindful of your male to female ratio. You'll want 4-7 females to each male. If you don't want to hatch eggs, I suggest you get only females. Males can fight and harm each other. And they will get into crowing matches with each other.

I agree with lomine. They aren't affectionate. I'd recommend a cockatiel for that. My cockatiel is affectionate. Jap quails can be tamed fairly easily by hand feeding etc. I love keeping them and the eggs are great. Also very fun to breed. Negative side is that they are smelly (I wouldn't keep them in the house although some do).

Back
Top Bottom