Sicillian Buttercup x Seabright

Rach92

Hatching
Nov 1, 2022
I was wondering if anyone has crossed a Buttercup and Seabright Chicken, what do they look like? Temperment etc?

I've never done it, but if both parent breeds have similar temperament, there's a good chance of the chicks having that temperament too.

For colors, if both parents have gold & black, so will the chicks. They will probably have a pattern that doesn't look quite like either parent.

I think Buttercups are always black & gold, but Sebrights come in several colors, which means you can get a few variations in the chicks:

If the Sebright has white lacing on gold, the chicks will have white patterning on gold.

If the Sebright has black lacing on silver, the sons will have black patterning on sort-of silver (probably a bit yellowish, instead of a nice white "silver" color.) The daughters will have black patterning, but whether they have gold or silver depends on which breed is the father. A gold father will definitely produce gold daughters, while a silver father will produce silver daughters. There is a chance of a silver father producing some gold daughters too, if he also carries the gene for gold, but that is unlikely if you are starting with purebred birds.

Since Sebrights are hen-feathered, there's a good chance that all sons will be hen-feathered as well (chance of not, depending on whether the Sebright also carries the gene for normal feathering. They aren't supposed to, but it happens sometimes.)

I'm not quite sure what the combs will look like on the chicks, if one parent has a buttercup comb and the other has a rose comb. You might get buttercup combs, or rose combs, or some odd combination. If the Sebright has a single comb, you will get chicks with buttercup combs (Sebrights are not supposed to have single combs, but sometimes it happens anyway.)

Any trait that both parents have (like dark legs, or white earlobes, or laying white eggs, or having a slender body shape) is likely to be present in the chicks as well.

Back
Top Bottom