Sick baby chick! Baby chick closing eyes while standing, not moving around

Sunshine berry

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2022
Hello there, we got baby chicks yesterday from a market, and the next day one of the four baby chicks who was doing fine yesterday is standing up and closing its eyes and isn’t moving around, the other chicks seem completely fine just eating and chirping. This one is just standing there and closing its eyes.

Hello there, we got baby chicks yesterday from a market, and the next day one of the four baby chicks who was doing fine yesterday is standing up and closing its eyes and isn’t moving around, the other chicks seem completely fine just eating and chirping. This one is just standing there and closing its eyes.
Do you have any corid on hand? Cocidosis is a pretty common illness and can kill a chick pretty quickly.
You can get corid in liquid or powder farm from your local tractor supply or farm store. You may need to buy some electrolytes also.
In the meantime, make sure you keep the chick hydrated. Just put a drop of water on it's beak. To prevent aspiration, don't try to force water in its mouth. Most chicks will eat a little scrambled egg.
Good luck with your chicks.

Hello Janiedoe, thanks for the reply! I currently don’t have any corid on hand but hopefully I’ll get some as soon as possible! should I keep the sick chick away from the others until it gets better?

Hello Janiedoe, thanks for the reply! I currently don’t have any corid on hand but hopefully I’ll get some as soon as possible! should I keep the sick chick away from the others until it gets better?
I Wouldn't, unless she is so weak that she is in danger of being stepped on. If it is cocidosis, they have all been exposed.
What type heat source are you using? I'm not a fan of heat lamps, and some have a typhoon coating which can poison chicks. I prefer brooder plates or heat pad caves, so that they can get away from the heat as needed.

I Wouldn't, unless she is so weak that she is in danger of being stepped on. If it is cocidosis, they have all been exposed.
What type heat source are you using? I'm not a fan of heat lamps, and some have a typhoon coating which can poison chicks. I prefer brooder plates or heat pad caves, so that they can get away from the heat as needed.
Hello janiedoe, it is quite warm here in Australia so i‘m not sure if they need a heat lamp, I bought corid today so hopefully they will recover soon! I really appreciate your advice!

Last edited:
I remember also trying to get her to drink some electrolyte and probiotics. I give my sick birds it, the brand I use is Save-A-Chick. Is she eating at all?
Hello Califarms, thanks for the reply! Yes she is eating thankfully! i bought them corid so hopefully that’ll work!

Back
Top Bottom