Sick chicken for a week

powaychick72

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
This is my first time posting here. I have been a chicken owner for 4 years and have my first real sick chicken. She stopped eating last Sunday (7 days ago). I noticed she was just walking around, not digging in the dirt with the other chickens and knew something was wrong. I gave her an epson salt bath (have been doing daily) and moved her into a dog crate in my garage. She is not eating much, not drinking (I am forcing her to drink with a syringe) and not pooping. I thought she was egg bound, but it’s been a week, I can’t feel any egg in her vent. She is either breathing heavy or contracting. But she will only poop (which is watery and greenish) if I stick my finger with a glove on into her vent. Her abdomen is swollen and the feathers are sparse. She is sleeping a lot but is also fighting back a bit when I give her a bath. I put her back in with the flock today and she walked around for awhile and then mostly laid in the corner of the coop. She ate a few worms when I put them up near her face. I am not sure what else to do. Am I prolonging her death by force feeding her water and helping her poop. I have twins that are
10 and its hard explaining that she might not make it. Anything else I should be doing?

10 years is usually old plenty old enough that sometimes pets die despite our best efforts.
She could have an internal infection, ascites, liver failure etc. Unfortunately, there's no cure for situations like this, I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom