Sick chicken, smells very bad...

I have a young pullet, bought one week ago. She has been fine every night that I checked on her. Tonight, I found her puffed up, head to the side and stumbling. I picked her up, and she smells dead already from her mouth. She is also gurgling. Brought her in, washed her with dawn, blow dried her gently, she has shown no improvement. Help.please

How have you managed her during quarantine? Amount of space, bedding, feed, ventilation? What is her age? Do you have other birds?

I have a similar issue. It started with a runny nose and progressed to yellow mucous coming out of my pullets nostrils. She was lethargic, but eating and drinking until this afternoon. We've cleaned her nostrils of mucous, treated with VetRx, gave probiotics and Duramycin in water. She smells like a dead bird.

She perked up a bit with fluids, but I'm wired as she sounds gurgly, like she's got mucous in the back of her throat. I don't hear any chest rattles.

She's in the house in a cage,now, away from the rest of the flock.

When I went out tonight, there was a second pullet with dried mucous on her nostrils. Brought her in and cleaned her up. Treated with VetRx. She's pretty feisty, which I hope is a good sign. She smells too, but not as bad as the first one.

I keep the coop cleaned of pop and wet straw every other day. I have two waterers and two hanging poultry feeders. No moldy feed that I can see.

Run is 25 x 15. Coop is 4' x4' x4', with two roosting bar heights. Small 12" box fan blows through coop all the time.

Not sure what else I can do for her or the rest of the flock. There are no vets close by that treat chickens.

I have a similar issue. It started with a runny nose and progressed to yellow mucous coming out of my pullets nostrils. She was lethargic, but eating and drinking until this afternoon. We've cleaned her nostrils of mucous, treated with VetRx, gave probiotics and Duramycin in water. She smells like a dead bird.

She perked up a bit with fluids, but I'm wired as she sounds gurgly, like she's got mucous in the back of her throat. I don't hear any chest rattles.

She's in the house in a cage,now, away from the rest of the flock.

When I went out tonight, there was a second pullet with dried mucous on her nostrils. Brought her in and cleaned her up. Treated with VetRx. She's pretty feisty, which I hope is a good sign. She smells too, but not as bad as the first one.

I keep the coop cleaned of pop and wet straw every other day. I have two waterers and two hanging poultry feeders. No moldy feed that I can see.

Run is 25 x 15. Coop is 4' x4' x4', with two roosting bar heights. Small 12" box fan blows through coop all the time.

Not sure what else I can do for her or the rest of the flock. There are no vets close by that treat chickens.
Welcome to BYC, @Ssweaser It would be best to start your own new thread at the top of this page to reduce confusion, and get more advice just for your own unique situation/ problem. List all symptoms that you are seeing, their age, add how long you have had them, or if any new birds have been added to the flock recently.

Back
Top Bottom