Sick isa brown

bellaandboo

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
Hey, my 2.5 year old isa brown is slowly deteriorating
1f614.png
she has not laid an egg in close to a year, but that's not the issue. She recently has become so weak she cannot get in and out of the coop so we are having to put her to bed, she is all bone and feather not muscle on her whatsoever, she is still eating and drinking. Any help please?!

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. She could be suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Oviduct cancer is quite common also. They can walk like a penguin, having trouble walking, lose weight, and their abdomens can hurt. Sometimes they may have difficult breathing, and can develop fluid in the lower abdomen. She appears to be uncomfortable. Sometimes antibiotics such as enrofloxacin are used to buy some time, but there is no cure for these conditions.

Thank you for your response, she doesn't seem to be in pain I can pick her up and cuddle her and she still talks to me

If you haven't wormed your flock, that might be one of her problems. Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are both good ones. Also she looks a bit puffed up, and if you notice that she is having diarrhea or any blood in her droppings, you could give her some Corid (amprollium) in her water for 5 days to treat her for possible coccidiosis. Let me know if you need dosages. Some vitamins and electrolytes may also be good right now in case she is dehydrated. She looks very sweet, and I'm sure that you are attached. Here is an article about coccidiosis and one about dehydration:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html

Last edited:
Thank you, she is having some diarrhea. But as for high hydrating she does still drink
1f60a.png
I will have a look at the links

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. She could be suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Oviduct cancer is quite common also. They can walk like a penguin, having trouble walking, lose weight, and their abdomens can hurt. Sometimes they may have difficult breathing, and can develop fluid in the lower abdomen. She appears to be uncomfortable. Sometimes antibiotics such as enrofloxacin are used to buy some time, but there is no cure for these conditions.

X 2 - given the information provided about "breed", laying issues and age of the bird this is my first thought as well. Treating for parasites may help, but I would suspect that if there is a parasite problem it is just one of the problems involved and likely the least of what is ailing your poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom