HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
I have gone back and forth on this chicken since it hatched.
It was my "comfort/support pullet" for my 12 chicks that were surprises in a hidden nest. (S)he acted very motherly at just 2 months old. (S)he would huddle with the newly hatched and show them how to eat/drink. (S)he always had a small comb/wattles up until maybe a month ago. (S)he is currently 7 months old.
When it's comb and wattles suddenly grew and changed colors I thought it was a cockerel. At least, until it went broody 4 days ago. Yes it was broodiness. (S)he was sitting on 3 eggs, puffed up when I got near, started making angry broody clucks, and pecked the crap out of my hand. (S)he was always super friendly so this was a definite change in attitude. I keep taking eggs away and today (s)he was walking around like normal.
My lead Rooster accepts it just fine, breeds it, and hasn't ever shown aggression to it. And (s)he submits and squats without protest.... making it that much harder for me to tell what gender this chicken is!!!

20180808_165207.jpg
20180909_134447.jpg
(yes I'm aware that water is disgusting, I cleaned it out)

I honestly can't tell, my definite Sizzle cockerel has much more prominent rooster qualities. But this one does so much hen things, yet randomly grew that comb and wattles.

Minor question: Is it normal for my 7 month olds to be broody? Ive now had 3 go broody and they haven't even laid eggs yet as far as I know... Is that anything to be concerned about? I've had a horrible case of broodiness go around this year.

What a cutie-ba-tootie, whatever he/she is! ❤️
Frizzles always are always so difficult to sex for me ....like silkies!

I would say it would be normal for high broody breeds.....Is it a silkie in question?

What a cutie-ba-tootie, whatever he/she is! ❤️
Frizzles always are always so difficult to sex for me ....like silkies!

I would say it would be normal for high broody breeds.....Is it a silkie in question?
I know I really love how his/her feathers grew out, my other white sizzle looks kind of straggly, she's older though.
Yeah frizzles/sizzles/silkies are just about impossible for me to sex on my own. Usually I just wait for crowing or eggs, but I've got so many small egg-layers that I can't tell if I'm getting new pullet eggs or normal tiny eggs.

The ones that went broody were this white sizzle in question, a black smooth sizzle, and a black Frizzle. So they all have silkie in them except for the Frizzle which has Cochin in her.

Ugh, hard one. We had a silkie that I swore was a pullet, until it started to crow. I, even then was unsure as she/he still acted like a hen. It did not try to breed with hens like the other one, who definitely was a roo. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of her(we still called her a hen named Prissy) she eventually started biting, not pecking but chasing and biting my daughter.

Ugh, hard one. We had a silkie that I swore was a pullet, until it started to crow. I, even then was unsure as she/he still acted like a hen. It did not try to breed with hens like the other one, who definitely was a roo. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of her(we still called her a hen named Prissy) she eventually started biting, not pecking but chasing and biting my daughter.
Oh no! I'm so sorry! Hopefully your daughter didn't let Prissy ruin chickens for her. I have both extremely sweet roosters and very mean hens, and vise versa.
Silkies, Frizzles, and Sizzles are just about impossible for me to sex on my own :confused: I need very obvious signs to know for sure lol

Back
Top Bottom