still need help with wet bottom -- chick updates

GoodEgg

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
NW Florida
Well ... I'm afraid I lost the one I was worried about. I still don't know what was wrong with him. He just seemed to have legs too long, and was unsteady, then fell in the water, and went downhill from there.

The original "flopper" I wrote about seems fine for the past some hours.

I've added another one to the "hospital" because he has a bare red spot on one shoulder that I guess the others picked on him. He seems fine otherwise.

My little banty though ... I hope it will be ok. It's a buff Japanese bantam. My only one. He's very active, eating food and drinking water and moving around. I have plain tap water and a weak electrolyte solution with tap water in the "hospital" cage, a lamp overhead, and a heating pad under 1/2 of the aquarium.

The problem with the banty is that his back end looks unfeathered, and wet. Actually, the feathers are looking a bit better. He preens them a lot. But he's still wet in back, and when I pick him up my hands get wet and get poop on them. He's red back there too, and there's a tiny little bump poking out. It looks like a tiny worm that moves out when he peeps, but I'm pretty sure it's part of him. He doesn't seem bothered by all this, but the others were pecking at his hind end so I took him into the cage with the sick ones.

He seems happy except for "social issues." He was crying like a cold chick, but he wasn't cold. I finally figured out that he wants company. If I hold him in both hands, he's very content. If one of the other chicks let him climb underneath, he was content. Otherwise he cried constantly. I've put a stuffed animal in there, and he has the other two chicks, so now he seems very content. I guess that was finally "enough company."

Right now I'm just keeping him warm and making sure he's drinking, which he is. I don't know what "pasted up" looks like, but I thought it might be that. I can't find any photos. It seems the poop *dries* on them though? He's not dry, he's wet. Although it might dry and become that. I will watch carefully.

Still checking the other babies every hour or so, at least. So far I have had to pull the 4 for various reasons, and lost the 1.
sad.png
It was hard to pick him up and find that he had died in the sock. I still don't know why. I so much hope I don't lose any others.

We got 4 ducklings in March, and except for a scare that turned out to be nothing, I've not had to worry about them. Out of 27 chicks, I've lost one and am watching 3 more now. I guess after the hardiness of the ducklings I wasn't completely prepared for the fragility of the chicks?

Rambling now, sorry ... but if anyone can tell me anything at all about the wet bottom, I'd appreciate it. All the details of their age and care so far are in the other post called "baby chick flopping" ... I just didn't want to repeat it here to keep this from being any longer than it already is.

Thanks,
trish

I'm sorry for your loss. At least you tried. And glad to hear your floppy chick is doing so much better!
Ok.. I'm going to take a guess here.. could your banty have a prolapsed rectum? Wet hind end.. just not sure. I had a couple of chicks I was worried about at first, since they seemed to have more of their rectum showing than others, but within a day I couldn't tell who I was worried about anymore!
As for the pasty bum, My understanding is that it is when poo sticks to them, and then more poo sticks to that, etc etc. Eventually it blocks them up, and they can't poop at all. That doesn't sound to me like what is wrong with your chick, either, although I could be mistaken. If you gently dried your little chick's bum with paper towels, does it get wet again?
I have to say your chicks sound like they are in very capable hands.

--Meghan

Well, the floppy chick still flops.
sad.png

I had to put a divider in the tank last night so that he wouldn't injure the others with his flopping, or they wouldn't peck him. As soon as one behaves "not normally" the others start to pick at him? That seems to happen.

And another one with a red bare patch on the shoulder. But those are doing fine. I think someone just picked on them and they are better off in a small group.

I wondered if the banty had a prolapsed recturm. I've not heard of it, but that IS kind of what it looks like. I'm hoping I can find some info on that? Poor little guy, it LOOKS kinda painful, but he's active at least. And the others only very rarely pick at him. I don't know if there's anything I can do for him. Oh, and yes, I have dried him, and it does become wet again.
sad.png

The picked ones are banties too. I got 7 banties and 20 standards, and pretty much all the banties have little things that worry me, although the other 3 are still in with the big group for now. I'm watching 2 others and may pull them soon. But I don't want to put them in this cage without good reason, because of the water.

The "floppy" chick ... I gave him plain water each time he had an episode, because of what was said about sugar on the other thread. He recovered both times. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or somehow the water, but now I am afraid to offer sugar or the electrolyte/vitamin mix in the water he uses. And while he is fine I have the divider down, because he seems most distressed to be separated from the others.

And I am exhausted. The heating pad I bought yesterday has a 1-hour automatic cutoff, so while I slept I had to set an alarm to get up every hour and turn it back on. I bought the more expensive one because it DIDN'T say anything on the box about a cut-off. I want a cheap, plain heating pad, LOL!

Thanks for everyone's help. I guess I'll keep watching them and doing what I'm doing, so far. And I'm going to check everyone in a little while for pasting, but I think everything is fine in that dept, if it's supposed to look like dried poo, which I gather it is.

Thanks,
trish

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom