Strange egg help

gonehencrazy

Songster
Jul 6, 2016
I found this egg this morning with weird veins. The veins almost appear to be on the outside. I'm not real sure what it means, if it means anything.

It happens, I even see it in (gasp, he buys those???) store bought eggs.

You will see all sorts of weird stuff, especially when they just start laying, bumps, stripes, weird shaped, soft shells, no shells,double yolks, etc...

Those are cracks..The shell is weak...Feed layer pellets, oyster shell...Cut back on treats to 5% daily...About a tablespoon each hen is all the treats per day......

Cheers!

They get layer pellets and oyster shell. One out of twelve laying has odd eggs. It is either my year old Black star or one of my two non laying pullets has started. They are Wyandotte/Welsummer cross so eggs should be darker

Looks too big for a pullet egg, unless maybe a double yolker.....
.......and cracks(not 'veins') are not necessarily from lack of calcium.

That egg cracked during the shelling process, it can happen once in a while.
I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens frequently, then a closer look at possible causes would be in order

Have you opened that egg yet? Was shell thin?

Looks too big for a pullet egg, unless maybe a double yolker.....
.......and cracks(not 'veins')  are not necessarily from lack of calcium.

That egg cracked during the shelling process, it can happen once in a while.
I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens frequently, then a closer look at possible causes would be in order

Have you opened that egg yet? Was shell thin?

I did not open it. I left for Peru that afternoon. Someone has been laying large light colored that are less hard then the rest. I had a huge double yolker the other day. It's def not my Red Star pullets. They consistently lay dark brown eggs. Now my RIR and Black star hens have had small eggs and one has had eggs withe similar texture to the vein egg. I was thinking the Black Star was the culprit for this egg but I found a small egg in the nest box too. I did see the RIR laying in a box earlier that morning. I really need a camera set up!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom