Turkey feed

homesteadkitchen

Hatching
Jun 3, 2022
I'm picking up a couple of turkey poults tomorrow, but I'm having trouble finding feed for them. I prefer organic if at all possible, and that's what is making it difficult. Is there something I can add to regular chick starter to increase the protein to an appropriate amount for turkeys?

I'm picking up a couple of turkey poults tomorrow, but I'm having trouble finding feed for them. I prefer organic if at all possible, and that's what is making it difficult. Is there something I can add to regular chick starter to increase the protein to an appropriate amount for turkeys?
It isn't just the protein levels that is the problem. Chick starter is also too low of levels of lysine and methionine. The niacin levels may be low too.

If you are in the U.S., Chewy has turkey or game bird starter with reasonable shipping prices.

Personally, I won't feed organic feeds. Too many of them leave something needed out and jack the price up for the "organic" label.

I know people will probably say this is bad but i just give mine purina flock raiser and they free range and they've been fine since I had them

Access to forage has been important for my poults. It should help them to get a diet that meets all their nutritional needs. I couldn't believe some of the stuff my poults would eat at only a week old! Bits of greens so big they would have stems hanging out of their mouths for half a day! Access to grit is especially important if they are foraging.

I know people will probably say this is bad but i just give mine purina flock raiser and they free range and they've been fine since I had them
I just got my turkeys 2 days ago, & have been feeding them Flock Raiser also, because that's what my chickens eat. I'm also trying to find out what kind of feed to buy for them, or if the Flock Raiser is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom