Useful temperature information for hatching

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I'm not hatching any eggs, but if I were, I'd want to double check the accuracy of the thermometer in the incubator. How do I check it with another thermometer, of unknown accuracy?

I just did a boiling water test with 3 thermometers. One is a candy thermometer, and is only as accurate as the scale printed along side the tube, ie, not very. I have 2 probe style thermometers, so I checked the water temp with those too. Both said a full rolling boil of water was 210.5 degrees F. Not 212, which is what water boils at at sea level.

I'm not at sea level. How do I find out my true elevation? Go here:
https://whatismyelevation.com/

I'm at 820 feet above sea level. Is that enough to change the boiling point of water? YES!

Go here and find out how much:
https://maniacs.info/BoilingPointWa...point-of-water-at-an-elevation-of-820-ft.html

The boiling point of water at 820 feet is 210.36 degrees. So I'm thinking 210.5 on two different thermometers means I can trust those to check the accuracy of an incubator thermometer.

When I get an incubator and set some eggs, I'll be ready.

How do I check it with another thermometer, of unknown accuracy?
This is fairly simple for the most part.
First, you need any thermometer with a probe. Fish tank thermometers are great, and usually fairly cheep. There are other options too.
Next, take a cup or container and fill it with ice. Add water until the cup is full.
Let the cup or container sit for 5 minutes, this should lower the water temperature to freezing. Then place the probe in the water. Make sure its not touching any ice, or the side of the container. The thermometer should stabilize in 30 seconds and read 32* F. If it doesn't, then you know how off it is.
If it reads 33 degrees, than you would want it to read 98.5 in your incubator, since it reads one degree to high.

This is fairly simple for the most part.
First, you need any thermometer with a probe. Fish tank thermometers are great, and usually fairly cheep. There are other options too.
Next, take a cup or container and fill it with ice. Add water until the cup is full.
Let the cup or container sit for 5 minutes, this should lower the water temperature to freezing. Then place the probe in the water. Make sure its not touching any ice, or the side of the container. The thermometer should stabilize in 30 seconds and read 32* F. If it doesn't, then you know how off it is.
If it reads 33 degrees, than you would want it to read 98.5 in your incubator, since it reads one degree to high.
Excellent! I will do this too. Thank you.

First, you need any thermometer with a probe. Fish tank thermometers are great, and usually fairly cheep.
But...they may not be accurate enough for incubation, and AFAIK do not have the range needed (freezing to boiling) needed to accurately test.

Interesting, I had no idea. Maybe thats why I had such trouble trying to calibrate mine. :p
It should have been obvious by the numbered marking on the gauge, right?
What fish therm do you have...got link?

@aart, so I should do a freezing and a boiling test to check the accuracy of a thermometer?
If it has the proper range to detect those temps, yes you can.

Back
Top Bottom