What could be wrong?

Apr 28, 2024
If only chickens could tell us what's wrong, the guessing game has got me so frustrated. My rescue hen Peep is acting off. Tuesday a week ago I treated the whole flock for worms. She has been keeping to herself since a few days before that, but not like this. She's walking slow (no bumblefoot and not favoring a leg or limping), eating as far as I can tell, drinking. I have done the Epsom salt bath, no egg (which I am pretty sure she's not laying regularly anyway). Her butt is pulsing. She's had dirty butt, but got that cleaned. Seems to be breathing heavier than usual. Noticed 2 nights ago she was sleeping on the ground. Last night watched her go in to the roost and she couldn't fly up to the pole. We sat her up there and she stayed the night. Found her again off to herself this morning. Brought her to my hospital and gave her a scrambled egg and some water and she is eating that well. Staying in one place, sometimes with eyes closed.
She's a Golden Comet, Approx. 3-4 years of age.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Welcome To BYC

She may be having a problem with laying an egg. I'd give her a Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily for 5 days.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Back
Top Bottom