What did you do with your flock today?

I cooked a nice pork butt in the oven today. I got the meat (and the pork fat to cook my eggs in). The chickens got the bone...

IMG_3906.JPG IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3915.JPG IMG_3920.JPG

Last night I went and caught Onyx and put her in a cat carrier, so I could soak her messy bottom. Poop this morning was semi solid.. Her vent is clean, so no gleet. This bulge you see is hard, not water balloon like. Is this an egg waiting to exit? She seems to walk normally, was on the roost when I caught her, comb is bright and upright. Since I had her captive, I gave her a 600 mg calcium tablet before putting her back with everyone. Shortly after releasing her, she had a watery poop, probably from the epsom salt water soak. Is this a wait and see situation? She normally lays whopper eggs, but haven't laid one in the past several days. The shell shapes have been a little wonky, not a smooth oval. A bit rough as well. Hopefully she isn't getting a reproductive issue. Breed wise, she is .25 BCM, .25 cream legbar, .5 blue sapphire PR. Age 1.6 y.o. Her molt has been slow and steady, as she hasn't gotten new flight feathers yet.
I'll go out this afternoon to observe her crop and behavior as she is a skittish one.
What is your take on this?
View attachment 3811396
I think you would be able to feel the egg. That's the only thing I can think of too, since it is not soft and squishy, and the vent was clean. Hope someone who knows more than I do pops on here and give you some advice.

Last night I went and caught Onyx and put her in a cat carrier, so I could soak her messy bottom. Poop this morning was semi solid.. Her vent is clean, so no gleet. This bulge you see is hard, not water balloon like. Is this an egg waiting to exit? She seems to walk normally, was on the roost when I caught her, comb is bright and upright. Since I had her captive, I gave her a 600 mg calcium tablet before putting her back with everyone. Shortly after releasing her, she had a watery poop, probably from the epsom salt water soak. Is this a wait and see situation? She normally lays whopper eggs, but haven't laid one in the past several days. The shell shapes have been a little wonky, not a smooth oval. A bit rough as well. Hopefully she isn't getting a reproductive issue. Breed wise, she is .25 BCM, .25 cream legbar, .5 blue sapphire PR. Age 1.6 y.o. Her molt has been slow and steady, as she hasn't gotten new flight feathers yet.
I'll go out this afternoon to observe her crop and behavior as she is a skittish one.
View attachment 3811396
Could possibly be a hernia?

That is so awesome! I didn't see that sale!! I should have been watching. I want a lavender baby OD!! Okay, when these babies start laying I definitely want to get some eggs from you :D I got overwhelmed with too many of my own hatching this year and couldn't process adding to it haha. Next year I will be approaching the spring hatches a bit differently! Less at a time and much later than January! :p You know I may be making my way down to Tucson for work soon too! How far out of Tucson are you? I would SO love to meet you in person finally and see Biscotti and your beautiful peas! :love
O that would be wonderful! I could send you home with eggs or birds too 😂! I'm not far outside of city limits...a hop, skip and a jump is all. Let me know if you're coming...I'd so love to meet you in person!

View attachment 3811396
I'm trying to tell where the bulge is on her body and can't quite make it out. The possibilities that come to mind are an abscess, tumor or hernia. All of those can be firm. Egg waiting to exit isn't something I've seen but sounds possible? I'm not sure. I'm glad she's moving well, but not laying makes me think you're on to something when you worry it's reproductive related. We need @TropicalBabies insight. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

Back
Top Bottom