What did you do with your flock today?

I took my chicks outside for their first field trip. After catching on on the edge of the brooder! They chased each other over a beetle and a red lettuce leaf. But I’m glad I was in the little movable dog pen with them, because after 15 minutes one of the red tail hawks that have a nest somewhere around here, landed on the branch near us. It was close enough to see it’s individual feathers! And hours afterwards a rat snake was spotted near the little pen. Only in Texas.

I don’t know why it wouldn’t be. You would have to get a lot of silkies if you plan to hatch a large amount of eggs. I doubt they could sit on a lot. XD

I have a small breeding program and plan chicks next Spring. The brooder seems like torture for the chicks, regardless of how big. They hop into my hand to be placed in the tractor every morning. So I'm looking at others' situations and you're so helpful!

I took my chicks outside for their first field trip. After catching on on the edge of the brooder! They chased each other over a beetle and a red lettuce leaf. But I’m glad I was in the little movable dog pen with them, because after 15 minutes one of the red tail hawks that have a nest somewhere around here, landed on the branch near us. It was close enough to see it’s individual feathers! And hours afterwards a rat snake was spotted near the little pen. Only in Texas.

I’m glad they’re all okay!

I have a small breeding program and plan chicks next Spring. The brooder seems like torture for the chicks, regardless of how big. They hop into my hand to be placed in the tractor every morning. So I'm looking at others' situations and you're so helpful!

Aw, poor babies. I hope the silkies work out for you, if you decide to try them.
I have the attention span of a squirrel so I’m sorry if you’ve said this before, but what breeds are you breeding?

...and in Florida! I have an array of red shouldered hawk feathers from downy to adult and I'm missing goldfish from my pond from a giant water snake (relocated), an owl, and our "pet" hawk who will just sit on the watergarden foundation and watch you walk by... Predator-safe is important in the wilderness!

Also lived in Texas and don't miss the scorpions and ubiquitous rattlesnakes, but we have gaters and water moccasins.
I’m glad they’re all okay!

Aw, poor babies. I hope the silkies work out for you, if you decide to try them.
I have the attention span of a squirrel so I’m sorry if you’ve said this before, but what breeds are you breeding?

Crèvecœurs. They are gentle and don't mind confinement as long as there's grass. They get a fresh plot in the shade each morning.

And they freaked out when I took away their Brinsea hot plate from the brooder! I had to put it back unplugged so they would go to sleep.

Also training my 2-year-old Husky as my chicken assistant because she is so jealous of the chickens. Every time I leave her inside to care for them, she tears up something. I've never had a problem with her doing this even as a puppy. She she's leashed to me now while we watch chicken tv.

Last edited:
...and in Florida! I have an array of red shouldered hawk feathers from downy to adult and I'm missing goldfish from my pond from a giant water snake (relocated), an owl, and our "pet" hawk who will just sit on the watergarden foundation and watch you walk by... Predator-safe is important in the wilderness!

Also lived in Texas and don't miss the scorpions and ubiquitous rattlesnakes, but we have gaters and water moccasins.

Crèvecœurs. They are gentle and don't mind confinement as long as there's grass. They get a fresh plot in the shade each morning.

And they freaked out when I took away their Brinsea hot plate from the brooder! I had to put it back unplugged so they would go to sleep.

Also training my 2-year-old Husky as my chicken assistant because she is so jealous of the chickens. Every time I leave her inside to care for them, she tears up something. I've never had a problem with her doing this even as a puppy. She she's leashed to me now while we watch chicken tv.

Aw, those are cute birds! Their combs are fascinating.

Aw, those are cute birds! Their combs are fascinating.

Michele the Cockerel is our head roo in training

FEC7CE0A-5AE2-4C07-ACE8-8C7BFA0C5BA1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom