What did you do with your flock today?

Got to love the look of a broody.View attachment 2822384#2 chick. Put both chicks in the brooder so Emalani will sit longer.
Got the run raked out and mulched and I collected bugs as I flipped logs and rearranged, put them in a jar for my mountain flock who loved the bonus treats last eve.

Loaded up another truckful of mulch to take down. Making plans for my new and improved chicken apartment... though, don't know how it can be improved. The set up was pretty fabulous for our needs as it was, but DH and I are not thrilled at the prospect of moving it again, so will leave up the mountain for next summer ;)

On MIL duty this weekend. Headed down to get my first haircut in 2+ years. Cutting about 7" off for a lightly tapered Bob! Hopefully my new practical old lady cut. I really don't have the patience for anything but a rubber band usually.

My new chain saw works fabulous and I cut a few new roosts. Excited about my new project prospects. So nice not killing my arm with a tree saw to cut 4" logs! Yee haa!
It’s so cute!
Wow, you’re cutting a lot of hair off! I bet it feels really nice. :3
Hi 👋🏻 I found this thread and love the concept! I’m always sharing with my family about my flock and they just really don’t care! I need people to talk and share chickens with 😆

I have a smallish backyard flock and am new this year to chickens. I had no idea how much I would love them! They’re challenging and fun and so interesting and silly to watch and they bring me lots of happiness. :)

I originally got 5 baby chicks at the start of April. 3 lavender Orpington and 2 BLRWs…we learned with that first batch the heartache of chickens as one of the Orpington passed away after 3 days. :-( We added 2 silkies a couple weeks later and I was content and hopeful that I had at least one hen of each coloring, but alas…I learned my second hard truth about chickens…straight runs are gonna be boys and the ones you like best will definitely be boys. 😩 So I got 3 boys and 3 girls, and had to rehome two of the boys. So my husband learned really quickly about chicken math and we added more chickens in hopes of increasing the hen numbers (and a second and better coop)!

I love them all so much and spend more time with my birds than I ever thought possible haha. I added some chicks that were an oopsie for a breeder when her Cochin hen got out and busy while she was on vacation and so they were a cheap deal 😁 Also got one of her Mauve Orpingtons that might lay pink eggs.

So NOW my flock is now 1 lavender Orpington, 1 BLRW, 2 silkies, 7 Cochin-Marans-Isbar mixes, 2 lavender Ameraucanas, 2 Isabel lavender mottled and laced Orpingtons, 1 blue copper marans, 1 Welsummer, and 4 bantam BBS Cochins 😆
:frow You have a beautiful flock! I especially love the one on the left in the third picture. Is she the lavender Orpington?
he is soo cute has he ( or the chick) got speckled Sussex in them at all
hoppingchicks
Thank you! No, I don’t think so.
Yeah, Koda is just barely a year old and seems to have figured out that the birds are off limits so we can trust him sort of…and it’s hard not to love the goofy boy. He’s very sweet and probably thought they would play with him 🥴 it took awhile to stop being mad at him but how do you stay mad at that face?? 😍

I’ve been in California now for 16 years, but it’s never really fit me either—but I’m stuck here because of my DH. He’s already agreed that I get to choose where we retire and I have big plans for more land and lots of chickens and goats! I’m originally from Idaho and I like open space and less people and I miss real fall and winter weather. Sacramento is just warm or HOT…and sometimes a bit wet. Blah…not my type of weather at all! At least Hawaii is beautiful and wet and hot haha.

Yes, quail are funny cuz the sort of just lay wherever whenever…so it’s a daily search for all the eggs! Some lay them in the same spot every day but most just lay haphazardly 😆 They're fun but they’re seriously not very smart 🙃
Koda is adorable! He’s got gorgeous eyes.
Like the jack russle. Did the dna on my little guy chihuahua and pom but terrier in the distant past they coulds be twins View attachment 2822625
He’s so cute!

It’s so cute!
Wow, you’re cutting a lot of hair off! I bet it feels really nice. :3

:frow You have a beautiful flock! I especially love the one on the left in the third picture. Is she the lavender Orpington?

Thank you! No, I don’t think so.

Koda is adorable! He’s got gorgeous eyes.

He’s so cute!
Thank you!! I clearly love the diluted colors :-D The one in the third picture is actually the Mauve Orpington and she is such a pretty color! It’s like a light brown purple. She’s also super sweet and one of the friendlier chicks. We named her Coco :) The only lavender Orpington I have is my boy Eevee (daughter named him) and he is getting quite handsome! 😍

Attachments

• 4A77C179-5D7E-4B6F-8E50-A4DA0F185839.jpeg
    4A77C179-5D7E-4B6F-8E50-A4DA0F185839.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3777B233-AE18-4D88-8C9E-92CF1C43E01C.jpeg
    3777B233-AE18-4D88-8C9E-92CF1C43E01C.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 7DD55AC8-4966-4E70-8B02-22CF6259CCC7.jpeg
    7DD55AC8-4966-4E70-8B02-22CF6259CCC7.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 1
Have a broody finishing hatching, another I'llbe collecting chicks from as they hatch and one that greatly prefers raising the 2 fosters rather than her own runty ones.

Have someone coming out toborrow for a walkthrough on how to care for everyone while I'm gone and maybe get an idea of what she might want for her possible new flock next spring

Back
Top Bottom