What did you do with your flock today?

Hello, I am new to this group, fairly new to BackYardChickens.

My flock consists, at the moment, of four geese about nine months old, an older group of nine hens and one rooster (almost a year old), my middle group consists of three roosters that were part of a group that I incubated myself (about two months old), and the youngest set of two that I truly hope will be hens!

My husband really wanted a rooster, but he and this rooster do not see "eye to eye" except for stink eyes. I think the rooster is doing a great job with his hens, but he does like to challenge me, I think it is when I have not given his girls enough treats.

My young roosters do not look anything like their father, one is completely out of left field. He is also gorgeous. I am thinking about replacing the current dominant rooster with one of these three when they are about the same size as Rooster.

The geese are a delight. I had no idea they were so interesting, entertaining and loving. The only that I am sure is a male and his breed, is the Sebastopol. He is also the smallest. I thought we had one male, and the rest female, but it may be one female and the other three are males. I guess we will be able to be certain come this spring.

I love to talk about my flock. Although I am certain that it is similar to people talking about their grandchildren, not everyone is as interested in daily comments!

We live in northern Nevada where the winters are not too cold, and the summers are not too hot. That does appear to be changing though, like everywhere.

Attachments

• curley and crew 6 mth.jpeg
    curley and crew 6 mth.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 1
  • 3rd set of chicks in a row.jpg
    3rd set of chicks in a row.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 1
  • chicks looking outside from garage.jpg
    chicks looking outside from garage.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 1

My flock consists, at the moment, of four geese about nine months old, an older group of nine hens and one rooster (almost a year old), my middle group consists of three roosters that were part of a group that I incubated myself (about two months old), and the youngest set of two that I truly hope will be hens!

My husband really wanted a rooster, but he and this rooster do not see "eye to eye" except for stink eyes. I think the rooster is doing a great job with his hens, but he does like to challenge me, I think it is when I have not given his girls enough treats.

My young roosters do not look anything like their father, one is completely out of left field. He is also gorgeous. I am thinking about replacing the current dominant rooster with one of these three when they are about the same size as Rooster.

The geese are a delight. I had no idea they were so interesting, entertaining and loving. The only that I am sure is a male and his breed, is the Sebastopol. He is also the smallest. I thought we had one male, and the rest female, but it may be one female and the other three are males. I guess we will be able to be certain come this spring.

I love to talk about my flock. Although I am certain that it is similar to people talking about their grandchildren, not everyone is as interested in daily comments!

We live in northern Nevada where the winters are not too cold, and the summers are not too hot. That does appear to be changing though, like everywhere.
Aloha and welcome to BYC and @FrankieDoodle s thread. I love gushers and photos and the whole deal. Birds of a feather :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy and we are flocking together!

300501-Love-Laughter-Friends-Are-Always-Welcome.gif

Here, today it is drizzling. It's a beautiful thing when we get light, almost Misty rains. Temps are in the low 70s to high 70s because of a cold front. Light jacket weather finally :yesss: and even my coconut oil is lightly solidified.

I threw out a chicken carcass first thing this morning so the pullets, who exit their coop earlier can have a chance at it. The hens dont want to be the first off the roost as Spider waits...🕸🕷🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ such a smart roo ❤

Tossed a couple star fruits but no one wanted to go out in the mist to collect even though the fruit is under a protective palm. Chickens.

Pullets and cockerels had good energy this morning and hens toenails looked fabulous last eve as I sprayed the roosts with mosquito repellent. All is well in the land of me.

Welcome to the thread!! I too love gushers and am a gusher myself :D You have a great looking flock, please gush as much as you want! :) I lived in Nevada for awhile, thinking it would be similar to growing up in Idaho....and while there are similarities there was definitely more changes in the weather in the same day than I expected! :D It also snowed 6 ft in one weekend the first winter I was there. Haha.

I had a rooster than loved giving my husband a lot of flack, he would sneak attack and chase him along the fence, but he loved me and my ladies, and he let my kids cart him around and hug him. He was just starting to mellow into a good boy grown up rooster when I lost him to a severe case of wet pox on Christmas. :(

Welcome to the thread!! I too love gushers and am a gusher myself :D You have a great looking flock, please gush as much as you want! :) I lived in Nevada for awhile, thinking it would be similar to growing up in Idaho....and while there are similarities there was definitely more changes in the weather in the same day than I expected! :D It also snowed 6 ft in one weekend the first winter I was there. Haha.

I had a rooster than loved giving my husband a lot of flack, he would sneak attack and chase him along the fence, but he loved me and my ladies, and he let my kids cart him around and hug him. He was just starting to mellow into a good boy grown up rooster when I lost him to a severe case of wet pox on Christmas. :(
Sorry to hear that, a good Rooster seems to be hard to find. I think that the dislike is mutual with roosters, a male thing.

I don't know kids... I have never had a roo be bad. It would be a sad day for him and I think they must know it.
I've had them do their hormonal thing, bite and get silly, so I just pick them up everytime and take them for a walk and talk and snack while holding them like a football.
Maybe my luck has just been fantastic.

I don't know kids... I have never had a roo be bad. It would be a sad day for him and I think they must know it.
I've had them do their hormonal thing, bite and get silly, so I just pick them up everytime and take them for a walk and talk and snack while holding them like a football.
Maybe my luck has just been fantastic.
Your luck and your patience! ❤️ I think some people just don’t have the patience to deal with the silly and naughty stuff they do when they’re feeling their teenage oats (like most in full on puberty! 😉). I was definitely willing to put in the time, but he did go after my daughter a couple of times and that had me a bit more on edge—not gonna lie. She would have never forgiven me if I’d rehomed him…but I wish I could have done that instead of losing him the awful way I did—for his sake and mine :-(

I’m very envious of your beautiful island weather!! We have a pretty nice day today too! I’m going to finish work and then go enjoy it with my birdies for awhile! 😁

Yeah, the guy said they do. Crazy, right!? I need to look it up. Maybe it goes into soup or something?:idunno I think you could probably make tea with it, but stinging nettle stew doesn’t sound good for your digestion. 😝
Nettle tea is a woman's best friend. High in iron, nettle can be food. Feeding it to your chicken's I imagine feeds them high levels of mineral's. Once the nettle is heated/cooked it softens and there are no more sticker's, but you can strain in with a coffee filter if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom