What did you do with your flock today?

Oh gosh that is so funny. My money is on the cool cave and 2 hens same time 😂
Esh, snakes! I have no idea how to deal with snakes. What kine scary snakes do you have? 😬😬😬
Once my girls have gone broody I lock them in a box and open it up just for a few hours out of the day so they can stretch and bathe, I leave fresh food and water inside for her. I really don't want other hens laying in the same nest OR bullying my broody off her nest.
Can you raise the cage so snakes can't get in? Like put it on a table in the run? Then chooks will have the room under. Said broody should be able to jump in and out. IF you do that... zip tie a pc of wood or 2" stick at the entrance so hens foot does not get caught. I had 2 cockerels catch their foot and one broke his (He is ok). Simple threshold solves the hazard

Lord. It is warm here... and February. 😭😭😭

Good girl! Can't have just one though... and they come in other colors lol. Next time you go chicken shopping see if you can't find a Buff Brahma. You'll never be the same... they have the sweetest scream when you pick them up. They don't mind, very friendly but they just like to protest. Super cute ♡
I will definitely be on the look out!! Just love their gentle nature 😍

First of all, you're not a terrible person.... period. New birds or no new birds. Cut yourself some slack and enjoy those new lovelies! I personally am a little bit in love with your speckled beauty Millie. 😍
Thanks, 😍 Millie is just so pretty! I have yet to see a feather pattern I like more, it’s just SO pretty. Plus her big feathered feet on such a tiny little chicken. ❤️ Sia and Cher are just the funniest little silkies…they try desperately to hide under each other haha.

I'm going to start collecting the eggs I'm hopeful about starting March 1. I don't think I want to encourage broodiness earlier than that. Once one shows signs, I'll slip the collected eggs under her. I suspect the broody box will be the oh-so-popular cat cave. It's on the floor of the run inside of a ginormous dog crate. If that does end up being where one of the ladies goes broody, I might just close the crate door each night to make sure she's safe. We have snakes, though, so I may move the cat cave to the coop. I don't know if it's true, but I read that snakes are less likely to enter an active coop than somewhere with less activity. I'd have to rearrange the nestbox setup in there, but it may be safer for her (and eventually the chicks) inside the coop rather than alone at night in the run....even in a closed crate. What do you all think?
I think I would do that if I were you too…mainly just because it’s extra things to pass through. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom