What did you do with your flock today?

Got some trim on the scraps coop!
DCFC2C2C-2A01-4196-996B-80203210C772.jpeg

After waiting almost 2 weeks for the one print shop to help with the design of my bag tags, they came back with Lordknowswhattheywerethinkingjunk. I was a little sad but quickly used my girl brain, laid out what I wanted and emailed another printer and am ecstatic with it I think. I have only seen this proof. Will go pick up prints on Friday.View attachment 3406476
It is certainly a start. Also have another stand to make for another favorite Waimea restaurant! Yippee!
Those look fantastic! And another stand! Not sure how you find time for everything you have going on...it's wonderful ❤️
I need helpers!!! :th
They will come right?!
We need a traveling hen party... we'll all descend on you for a week, then @Gammas Bearded Babies for a week and so on 🥳🥳. Our dear hubby's can hold down the forts for us 😄
Got some trim on the scraps coop!
View attachment 3406637
O so pretty 😍
I got them well fed and watered up good and gave them some time out in the yard, the cold front is supposed to be here sometime in the night tonight so they should be good and comfy and ready for tomorrow. : )
Cold fronts every where lately! Glad they're well set up for it 🙂

Yeah I didn’t think it was fowl pox either, because of the way she looked. But shortly after her issues everyone started showing normal dry pox signs and a few with wet pox. Ms. Pretty lived about a month after the first noticeable spot on her face. Once I started looking around her head she had all these tiny lumps under the skin. Super bizarre.

Here was the original spot—I thought it looked like a bite. I researched cutaneous Mareks but didn’t really think they looked similar to the images of its presentation on a chicken. She was my only blue copper Marans and I was sad 😢 No one else has had anything that looked remotely similar.
View attachment 3402003

Here are some of the lumps in her feathers…
View attachment 3402008
View attachment 3402009
View attachment 3402014
Maybe the original wound was a mosquito or other insect bite after all? As we've discussed, mosquitoes and other biting insects are mechanical vectors for fowl pox. The crusty lesions are reminiscent of Fowl Pox but there's also significant swelling around the feather shafts closest to them. Are these the lumps you mention? Did any of these lumps go on to develop into lesions?
The other thing that bugs me is that she passed away at all. Dry fowl pox has a low mortality, very few chickens die from the dry form unless there's underlying conditions, or they are very young or old. Unless she had diptheric and/or systemic as well?
The lesions also look like those caused by some squamous cell carcinomas but that doesn't really make sense given the speed of progression - unless she had an ALV which was already well advanced.
It's a mystery, for sure.

Oh for sure will get some more. I wanted to take some today but I was too busy watching them all and making sure no one killed one another. Luckily it was all more establishing who was in charge and who wasn’t. It was so nice though cause by the end of the day my Mottled Cochin Bantam was following me around. However before today she wasn’t a fan of mine. Although she didn’t attack me like she did my husband. It is pretty clear that the people we got them from didn’t handle the chickens.

Oh but I forgot to add to all this…these people had a ZEBRA!! I want a Zebra now. I have no idea how I’m gonna get one but it will forever be on my want list 🤣. This is the best picture I could get of the Zebra though…it was WAY to cold that day to walk out to where it was to get a better picture.
There were quite a few super rich Victorians kept zebras over here. One even used a pair to pull a small Gig around his estate.
I always wanted a Zonkey or a Zorse.

Oh I bet she’s a cute little Cochin! 😍 I have found that their fear response is biting. My bobtail bit me the first day I had her too, and my favorite Cochin girl does too :) They’re just such sassy hens!!
They are sassy (bantam Cochin hens), I find. Mine certainly are, anyway! I also agree with the biting. Penelope was a terrible biter! I even had a sign above the coop - 'days since last bite...' It rarely went beyond 2 days. Mostly it was on zero 🤣
Pru and Clara would also bite when they were scared. It was a bit of a shock, tbh, as none of my other chickens had ever bitten me! I also think bantam Cochin girls are flighty and very nervous when young but with consistently gentle, kind handling, making sure you go at their pace, you will eventually get very affectionate but still sassy, cheeky hens.

So I was able to get a few pictures. The black and orange ones are the Pavlovskaya, their tail feathers are still growing back. The grey looking ones are a barnyard mix. Than the black cockerel’s is the Ayam Cemani. Then there is the Cochins. The black with the white is my favorite…
They are all gorgeous! You'll have to let me know how the Cemanis' get on. I've always wanted some but I've heard they're not particularly friendly. Your mottled hen reminds me of Pru when she first got here. Mottled birds get more mottled as they age and change their patterning at each moult.

Back
Top Bottom