What did you do with your flock today?

😡🤬🤬 grrr! Let me at her! I hate this insistence on large and jumbo eggs. The consumer desire for them just drives commercial producers to breed hybrids that lay bigger and bigger eggs to the detriment of the poor hen. It's one of the biggest factors in causing prolapse and ovarian tract scarring. My ex-batt, Maude, never prolapsed while she was with me but she did lay truly enormous eggs daily which got harder and harder to lay as they became thin shelled and eventually shell-less. On several occasions, I had to remove membrane and broken, very fragile eggs from her vent, necessitating a course of antibiotics each time. She eventually passed last year from a reproductive cancer. The industry doesn't see the consequences as most ex-batts are slaughtered at 72 weeks once they're deemed commercially 'spent' (in fact, they can lay well and stay healthy for much longer). Reproductive issues tend to show up in those hens that are rescued and are allowed a retirement. On the rare occasions I have to buy eggs i will only buy free-range, mixed weight. Sorry. Rant over.
I have a Black Sexlink hen and I worry about things like that for her. She lays rather large eggs and she lays daily. I didn’t specifically order her, she came with a mix flock. I do think they are doing too much to these poor birds and not letting them be. I had a lady buy some from me and I told her that this year has been really good since it is their first but they probably won’t lay this coming winter. Her response was put a light in the coop. Which cool if that is what you want to do to your birds but I don’t. That ends their life much faster and causes so many problems for them. Just doesn’t make since to me.

Here’s the first baby!!!

Attachments

• 41C21DE7-CCFF-415A-8DE3-FE75B3ECE107.jpeg
    41C21DE7-CCFF-415A-8DE3-FE75B3ECE107.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 1
Well, I made it to the farmers market with 5-18 pks of eggs and 2 bags- A bit late and by the seat of my pants.
I set up next to the nicest lady who I traded a pack of eggs for some homemade lilikoi butter yum!! Then I gave away one to a mom and baby who were pulling out of some hard times, then I gave another to my cute neighbor who was working hard selling kimchi. Then traded again for a big hand of bananas. I sold one bag and got another $5 donation for KCCP.
Came home and gave my neighbor who fixed a friends lawnmower my last 18pk, the hand of bananas and my last bag. I'm a lousy business person but had fun. Next time I go prepared.

Oh, I did have one tourist lady turn her nose up because one of my blue eggs was on the smaller side to her liking. She has three chickens at home and has a high standard obviously. A real fricken farmer, probably in a prefab :lauInsult my girls eggs is fighting words. Bye bye🌴 :frow ✈ tourist lady!
That does sound like a fun day...well, except for the foolish tourist! Your my kind of business lady 😂

So glad Jellybeans improving. 🥳

Back
Top Bottom