What did you do with your flock today?

Thanks! The event was successful with nearly 120 attending. I was able to direct people more than actually doing hand work, so more my knees and feet were sore from a lot of standing and running around. I was going to work in the garden but a little voice said to stay off my feet at least rest a day. Always have to check on the kids, play with Velma.

I believe you can move the eggs and them? Maybe? I've read that after they've set for a little, then transfer them to the brooding place, even a pet carrier, since she won't poop often, and would only eat/drink to survive. Are the eggs fertile? I've snuck in a couple extra on a broody that was on 4 eggs.
I’ve successfully moved broodys with their eggs to different boxes, and even a separate area. They are committed!

I finished up the coop side wall of the run today, then got the front wall done as well. I might have to order some more hardware cloth. I used 23 feet from my 4 foot wide roll today just for the front wall. I still have one more wall to do, plus the skirting around the base. Money money money.

There are some gaps under the baseboard that I need to fill in. Probably just tack on some boards. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how my run is coming together. And I only drew blood from the hardware cloth 2 times today, so that wasn't too bad.

View attachment 3496792View attachment 3496793View attachment 3496794View attachment 3496795
Looking good 👍

Today I moved 10 pheasant chicks from my room brooder to the water trough brooder in my husbands shop, and they joined three leghorns and three anconas chicks. I have no idea what I’m going to do with these peanuts - this was my husbands deal 😂

My last Cemani chick hatched today that I got shipped from across the country, for a grand total of 3 out of 12. Had one developing with a saddled air sack, but it didn’t make it 😞

Let my teenagers out and about, letting them mingle with my flocks all day. I love watching them chicken, they warm my ♥️
823232C1-B611-4B5F-A174-7A4AAA49301C.jpeg
050AD24C-1064-4E97-9904-AB004E0978EA.jpeg

Got a visit from the sweet little girl and her tribe again today.
20230507_153733.jpg
Then got a surprise visit from who i think is her mom and a new sibling ♡ gotta zoom in. Check out the fuzzy roof on that shack. Pretty sure it is still harboring eggs from our last summer hiatus and my renigade chickens.
20230507_162927~2.jpg

Made it back down the mountain at 6pm. Good thing I did not stay the night cuz KCCP switched days and wants me to do the ride along to feed the cat colonies tomorrow morning @ 3am. 🤪

My flock looked fabulous when I came home. Lucky little buggers spent the whole day out and about. They gave me 20 beautiful eggs ♡
I have to leave them all day again tomorrow ☹️

Also Forest caught another fat mouse or small rat 🐀 this morning. Yesterday was a sparrow. Such a good hunter and sweet boy.

AND! The night blooming jasmine is going off! Smells divine♡ and reminds me why it is my favorite plant ever!
20230507_195620~2.jpg

I'm just not sure where you find the time to paint your nails 😂 a great mystery to me.
Congratulations on the big beautiful hatches @FBMcrazy8 & @BDutch ! Spring has sprung! @BDutch does this mean you have co broody parents? Lots of juggling @FBMcrazy8 ... lots of juggling ♡ lots learning too. Such a farmer 👩‍🌾💕 oh what fun!

@kurby22 great job with presentation and sales, lots of thought and effort.
Did you write little bios with photos of parents? Everything was so pretty and cohesive 💜🤍💚🤎. I bet those around you were thinking they needed to up their game! Well, a little bitter sweet I am sure letting all that hard work and planning go... but great job. What are your takeaways?
I honestly don’t know how I find the time either. Well I did stay up waiting for my girl to have her babies and since I couldn’t sleep I decided to paint my nails. I actually got my toes done too. But that was at like 11pm 🤣

I really thought I posted this already but I guess I didn’t…

I’ve read and been told that cemanis aren’t broody. I have two laying hens and four laying pullets, and every single one of them have been broody this year atleast once. I ran out of Cemani eggs to put under them, so I’m about to bless my little community with several barnyard mix chicks in about a week 🤣

I broke before they would 🥴
The lady I got my eggs from said that hers are ALL broody and when one goes they all go. She also said they fight over eggs and she will have multiples in one nesting box. She wasn’t prepared for that because like you and me, she was told they dont brood. It’s nice for her that they do it and I’m kinda hoping mine do.

Had a busy day with 9 chicks that hatched Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The last one to hatch struggled to get out. And she is a bit behind. The mamma’s (I had 3 mama’s on 11 hatching eggs) are out and about today. The last one to hatch (Junior) is not strong and smart enough to catch up. She is left alone and starts to peep (getting cold probably).

I took her out the coop a couple of times to keep her warm in a kind of kangaroo-bag against my body.
The others only need feed and cleaning up. The mamas do the rest.

View attachment 3495932
View attachment 3495937
So sweet! Congrats on the new babies!
View attachment 3496689
Velma's first playpen.View attachment 3496690
View attachment 3496691
Velma and her "buddy". Loving her growing hairdo. She went out to her own run, and I have the tote on it's side, facing a wall, with a half log inside for her to perch on. She's almost 6 weeks old.
Luv the hairdo!!!
I finished up the coop side wall of the run today, then got the front wall done as well. I might have to order some more hardware cloth. I used 23 feet from my 4 foot wide roll today just for the front wall. I still have one more wall to do, plus the skirting around the base. Money money money.

There are some gaps under the baseboard that I need to fill in. Probably just tack on some boards. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how my run is coming together. And I only drew blood from the hardware cloth 2 times today, so that wasn't too bad.

View attachment 3496792View attachment 3496793View attachment 3496794View attachment 3496795
Looking really good! Luv how you are doing it!
I said it was a boy….but it is a girl! I got a better look at the little one when momma wasn’t so mad at me when I picked her up.
Ah! Congratulations!
Today I moved 10 pheasant chicks from my room brooder to the water trough brooder in my husbands shop, and they joined three leghorns and three anconas chicks. I have no idea what I’m going to do with these peanuts - this was my husbands deal 😂

My last Cemani chick hatched today that I got shipped from across the country, for a grand total of 3 out of 12. Had one developing with a saddled air sack, but it didn’t make it 😞

Let my teenagers out and about, letting them mingle with my flocks all day. I love watching them chicken, they warm my ♥️View attachment 3497155View attachment 3497156
Such cute lil babies!!!
View attachment 3497165Then got a surprise visit from who i think is her mom and a new sibling ♡ gotta zoom in. Check out the fuzzy roof on that shack. Pretty sure it is still harboring eggs from our last summer hiatus and my renigade chickens. View attachment 3497166
Made it back down the mountain at 6pm. Good thing I did not stay the night cuz KCCP switched days and wants me to do the ride along to feed the cat colonies tomorrow morning @ 3am. 🤪

My flock looked fabulous when I came home. Lucky little buggers spent the whole day out and about. They gave me 20 beautiful eggs ♡

Also Forest caught another fat mouse or small rat 🐀 this morning. Yesterday was a sparrow. Such a good hunter and sweet boy.

AND! The night blooming jasmine is going off! Smells divine♡ and reminds me why it is my favorite plant ever!View attachment 3497175
Now THAT'S a roof!
I bet that Jasmine does smell amazing!!!
3am...you are definitely dedicated to these kitties!!!

The lady I got my eggs from said that hers are ALL broody and when one goes they all go. She also said they fight over eggs and she will have multiples in one nesting box. She wasn’t prepared for that because like you and me, she was told they dont brood. It’s nice for her that they do it and I’m kinda hoping mine do.
That sounds exactly like what is going on here. They are ruthlessly broody!

View attachment 3497165Then got a surprise visit from who i think is her mom and a new sibling ♡ gotta zoom in. Check out the fuzzy roof on that shack. Pretty sure it is still harboring eggs from our last summer hiatus and my renigade chickens. View attachment 3497166

AND! The night blooming jasmine is going off! Smells divine♡ and reminds me why it is my favorite plant ever!View attachment 3497175
O how I love that roof! Curious if you built it that way and if so how? Bet it's devinely cool on even the hottest days.

That little girls such a pretty one. Wish I could smell the jasmine too! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom