What did you do with your flock today?

Right now I am watching my self blue d’Anver boy Squeakers in the all male d’Anver coop tidbitting for the other males…with dried balls of poop he finds in the coop 😆😆😆 No girls to impress and no treats to offer…so he’s just making do with what he’s got 😆😆
Go Squeakers! Clearly he knows how to improvise!
First thing Ferdy does when he gets out the coop in a morning is tidbit me! Doesn't matter what with - leaves, twigs, pebbles. Even a beer bottle cap. Not had poop offered yet... thank God!!! 🤣🤣🤣

20230613_204506.jpg

When collecting eggs this eve, I heard beeping. Though Hope did not introduce me to them, guess I'll meet them tomorrow morning. Better go get some chick starter, thought I had another day or two... such a procrastinator. Hope looks beat. She did good. I removed 2 eggs a few days ago, not fertile, did not catch on the first candle. So she had 6 eggs. Hope she has 6 babieeeees.
One of my Lani's went back to the nest after being in jail for about a week. These girls are killing me...🫤

Took a break from house work and bag work cuz DH wanted to ride Hombre at *** Second Ditch. I went just in case. Got a little walk in, was nice to get my toes in the water.
20230613_170927.jpg
20230613_171457.jpg
20230613_171855.jpg
20230613_181529.jpg
They came back in one piece, but then Hombre wouldnt get back into the trailer 🤣

Last edited:
I have cameras on them and no picking that I've ever seen...especially on the d'uccles cuz they are usually the bullies.
Their protein is 20% and I mix the crumbles and pellets cuz the d'uccles pick it out otherwise. But I use Prurina Flock Raiser and Naturewise Nutrena Feather Fixer which is 18% protein
I'm just so concerned that others r gonna get it and lose their feathers too! My black Silkie looks just awful!
My guess would be de-pluming mites too. The white feathers look exactly like how they do with de-pluming mites.
If I look closely at the first photo, it looks like there are small greyish flecks in the feather stumps and on the feathers which could be mites (bottom right of photo).
De-pluming mites actually burrow into the feather shaft and cause so much pain and irritation that the bird will pull it's own feathers out. It's a type of scabies mite and feeds on the serous fluids excreted by the skin in response to irritation and inflammation . Having had scabies once, I can empathise!
If it is de-pluming mites the only real way to eradicate them is using fipronil or ivermectin. Dustbaths with added sulphur will alleviate irritation but won't be effective in killing them because, like scaly leg mite, they live under the skin.
Personally, I'd treat ALL of your birds with ivermectin at 10mg/ml strength and add sulphur to your dustbaths. The only exceptions would be birds under 500g in weight and chicks under 6 wks. I've used pigeon ivermectin on Penelope and Ferdy at 7wks at a strength of 0.35mg/ml with no ill effects but they both weighed over 400g.

View attachment 3541158
When collecting eggs this eve, I heard beeping. Though Hope did not introduce me to them, guess I'll meet them tomorrow morning. Better go get some chick starter, thought I had another day or two... such a procrastinator. Hope looks beat. She did good. I removed 2 eggs a few days ago, not fertile, did not catch on the first candle. So she had 6 eggs. Hope she has 6 babieeeees.
One of my Lani's went back to the nest after being in jail for about a week. These girls are killing me...🫤

Took a break from house work and bag work cuz DH wanted to ride Hombre at first ditch. I went just in case. Got a little walk in, was nice to get my toes in the water.View attachment 3541162View attachment 3541163View attachment 3541165View attachment 3541166They came back in one piece, but then Hombre wouldnt get back into the trailer 🤣
Babiiieees! Yesss! So excited for you. It never gets old, does it?
What a beautiful place to ride!😍 I'm so envious. I haven't been on a horse since I broke my back. Miss it so much.😢 Not surprised Hombre didn't want to go home! 🤣

Thank you so much @Shetland lover for all your helpful information!!! I pray the last bottle of Ivermectin is still there when store opens...I tried to order it online for pickup late last night but stupid interested out yet again and my phone service is acting like the ice ages for some reason.
@TropicalBabies LUV those views! Sure have missed seeing em!!! Excited to see the babies!

Thank you so much @Shetland lover for all your helpful information!!! I pray the last bottle of Ivermectin is still there when store opens...I tried to order it online for pickup late last night but stupid interested out yet again and my phone service is acting like the ice ages for some reason.
@TropicalBabies LUV those views! Sure have missed seeing em!!! Excited to see the babies!
No problem. Just hope you can get it sorted! At least these mites don't hang around like red mite if there's no available host. Red Mite eggs can withstand winter temps of 0°C and the adults can remain dormant for 8 months! They become active at as little as 5°C. Horrid little things!

Last edited:
View attachment 3541158

Took a break from house work and bag work cuz DH wanted to ride Hombre at first ditch. I went just in case. Got a little walk in, was nice to get my toes in the water.View attachment 3541162View attachment 3541163View attachment 3541165View attachment 3541166They came back in one piece, but then Hombre wouldnt get back into the trailer 🤣
Your pictures make my heart happy ❤️

I'd treat ALL of your birds with ivermectin at 10mg/ml strength and add sulphur to your dustbaths. The only exceptions would be birds under 500g in weight and chicks under 6 wks. I've used pigeon ivermectin on Penelope and Ferdy at 7wks at a strength of 0.35mg/ml with no ill effects but they both weighed over 400g.
In treating each BANTAM with ivermectin 1% injection medication...another user posted on BYC to do no more than 2 DROPS on each chickens neck at skin.
Are you saying 10ml per chicken?

View attachment 3541158

Can't wait till she shares her prizes with you!! EEE!

Seriously, I am so envious that is just a quick drive away from you! I am with Hombre, I would want to stay there too! :)

Back
Top Bottom