What did you do with your flock today?

Good morning all and happy Thursday!
Weather up here is blustery but dry. Made it hard to sew last eve, as my machine is on front lanai, and not to mention electric being out for at least 4 hours, so I put it off untill today.... eh. Can do.

Mochi left the house early this morning and did not come back for breakfast. He's got me worried sick again. Spent a few hours calling and looking and thinking the worst. Chances are he is just enjoying a nice quiet place, away from me lol. Wish kitties did not make me worry so much ☹️

Doing my chicken check this morning i heard chicks beeping in coop. Think mom is ready to lay and they are keeping her company. She slept on the roost last eve and they did not follow. They slept in another nest. So, i guess they kind of missed each other ♡ she is a wonderful momma and loves her babies ♡View attachment 3583348
Some of my morning view. Blooming agapanthus and side of coop. Cleaning out debris and planting is on my is on my todo list. View attachment 3583355A sea of Kahili ginger. The fragrance is insanely wonderful and the beauty of this flower unmatched- IMO.View attachment 3583356
Just beautiful 😍😍😍
I'm sure Mochi is fine. Probably just lying in the sun somewhere...

Okay guys…I made a rather significant assumption and I am feeling very dumb. I haven’t seen any of my d’Anvers ever go broody and they’re not known to be crazy broody breeds…so I got a bit lazy checking eggs in their coop.

View attachment 3583607

These are the 23 eggs that are in various stages of development 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I guess I will be selling some babies in a couple weeks! Some are almost 10 days along 🤪🤦🏼‍♀️ Dumb I am!
Don't worry, I'm dumb too! Pru hid Stan from me until he hatched.... despite me checking for eggs daily. I think they just like to play practical jokes on us 😂

Do you guys remember Kirin? I was doing my chores and he decided to use me as a perch. He's never jumped up like that before so I brought him in for some extra attention and treats. Usually he jumps on a bar near the door and I just stop briefly to give him a pet and some conversation. Took some pics for you guys too. Just love the little guy. Curious to see if tomorrow he jumps up or if he decides he much prefers a brief pet and hello 😂View attachment 3583768View attachment 3583769View attachment 3583770View attachment 3583771View attachment 3583772
He's the absolute spit of Alfie, the cockerel we rescued, but in minature. He was a red pyle duckwing. Gorgeous 😍

Last edited:
Okay guys…I made a rather significant assumption and I am feeling very dumb. I haven’t seen any of my d’Anvers ever go broody and they’re not known to be crazy broody breeds…so I got a bit lazy checking eggs in their coop.

View attachment 3583607

These are the 23 eggs that are in various stages of development 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I guess I will be selling some babies in a couple weeks! Some are almost 10 days along 🤪🤦🏼‍♀️ Dumb I am!
Those are a lot of eggs! I have had a lot of my hens go broody, but usually they break after one or two days. My exception would be Mumble, who I assume has Black Orpington genes in her (hence the broodiness). She has gone broody for several weeks, but she recently broke, and I am guessing she did because she was getting too hot where she was nesting during this heatwave.

Do you guys remember Kirin? I was doing my chores and he decided to use me as a perch. He's never jumped up like that before so I brought him in for some extra attention and treats. Usually he jumps on a bar near the door and I just stop briefly to give him a pet and some conversation. Took some pics for you guys too. Just love the little guy. Curious to see if tomorrow he jumps up or if he decides he much prefers a brief pet and hello 😂View attachment 3583768View attachment 3583769View attachment 3583770View attachment 3583771View attachment 3583772
Kirin is beautiful! Is he a Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam?

Kirin is beautiful! Is he a Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam?
He's a splash with mahogany Olandsk dwarf ❤️ Doesn't look like blue or splash at all 🤣. I bred him myself and when he hatched I started reading and discovered the red shouldered yokos are also splash with modifiers! Now I want to read about the red pyles ❤️

He's a splash with mahogany Olandsk dwarf ❤️ Doesn't look like blue or splash at all 🤣. I bred him myself and when he hatched I started reading and discovered the red shouldered yokos are also splash with modifiers! Now I want to read about the red pyles ❤️
That is an interesting color mix, I have thought of splash to be always be blue, white, and gray! Red Pyle is one of my favorite color varieties.

I use a permethrin based red mite killer in both coops on alternate weeks and it not supposed to be toxic to chickens, just cats. Your birds should be fine.
Connie used to wait patiently for me to empty the natural bait traps and snatch any flies that crawled out. Made me feel a bit yucky...
She also used to catch flies mid-flight!
Is permethrin bad for cats? Or just your special mix you use? With an outdoor kitty now, I don’t wanna hurt him!

Those are a lot of eggs! I have had a lot of my hens go broody, but usually they break after one or two days. My exception would be Mumble, who I assume has Black Orpington genes in her (hence the broodiness). She has gone broody for several weeks, but she recently broke, and I am guessing she did because she was getting too hot where she was nesting during this heatwave.
That’s the amazing thing about these broodies isn’t it? They even brood through the heat! A bunch of mine finally broke once we hit triple digits. I guess that’s partly why it didn’t even occur to me! It is a lot of eggs! Not all are gonna hatch I’m sure, but dang it!! I just got all the babies out of the house and don’t have a place for all these babies! 🤦🏼‍♀️

That is an interesting color mix, I have thought of splash to be always be blue, white, and gray! Red Pyle is one of my favorite color varieties.
Me too. It was driving me nuts breeding the blue dwarfs because I never get any birds that look like I expected splash to look. I know they have to be there because I'm breeding blue to blue but all my birds were tricolor til suddenly I got these and some that I'm told are probably silver. Line breeding brought out some hidden (to me) colors. I'm still learning so not completely sure...I know this guys coloring has to do with blue, mahogany and probably silver (same as rs yokos)...but I've yet to figure out which females are splash as all of them look shades of regular dwarf still...paler or darker but not missing colors. No silver or this color in the hens still. And not a single bird that looks traditional splash still. Which there should be all three I believe, so I'm struggling to understand the genetics involved.

Anyhow...my obsessions showing 😂.

The red pyle is dominant white over bbr apparently. They are beautiful birds! 😍

Back
Top Bottom