What did you do with your flock today?

That is a beautiful color ❤️

I wonder if a rat got a baby? I'm afraid I don't know much about rats to even know if that could be. Hoping Sia's simply living happily right down the street from you somewhere. I know it's not a strong possibility...but can always hope. If the fox got her while she slept, it probably was able to take her without a mess making struggle and carried her away. ☹️
There’s no way for the rats to reach these babies! They’re locked away from everything, even the rest of their flock. Rats are the reason they are locked up tight in the Cube nest box :-(

Creeper gene is lethal, like you mentioned, so I doubt many people would want to breed them and overall deal with the leg issues that may arise in the future. Crested is a lethal gene as well, but people do not realize that because they believe crested breeds are very cute.
Yup, and people don't realise that breeding two vaulted skull birds together is very risky as the gene responsible is semi-lethal and semi-dominant. It results in brain damage, incomplete skulls etc. when both parents pass on copies of the gene. The problem is particularly bad with Polish, Houdans and Paduan. It's also a problem with other crested breeds, Slilkies, Sultans, etc.

As an owner of a very rare, crested 'breed' (actually a landrace) that I would like to breed from eventually, I'm very mindful of getting a compatible roo for her. Fortunately (probably because it is a landrace) the incidence of vaulting is relatively low and approximately a third of birds hatch crestless so I should be able to pick a suitable boy for her.
On the other hand, the gene pool is very limited because Shetlands were down to just a few dozen when they were rescued from extinction. I'm so thankful they were as they are a wonderful chicken. Great personality and very robust health-wise.

I had to use the water hose on the dark Cornish today as not a single one of them went into their coop but chose to roost in the log pile instead. I wish I could do something with those logs but thy are so huge I is impossible now.
For a bird with the intelligence of a toddler they can be such silly birds!

Aww, she's too adorable 😍😍😍😍😍
I really want ducks!
They are AWESOME! The geese are fun too. Especially when they greet each other or if they are excited. And of course when any of them are hungry. This little girl will yell at me until I get her food or when she was in the brooder, water 🤣. But all the ducks just start talking and the geese start honking!! Just love it! 🥰🥰

It’s really awesome you have Ferdy to keep Sylv with you in spirit! ❤️ I wish I had a Nohope son to be with me now. I miss him :-(

I haven’t figured out the lavender (silver) gene yet. When two silvers mate the babies die or are born with major issues that generally cause early death or blindness. My theory is that it must be either attached to a male chromosome somehow, or the females just rarely ever make it to hatch because there’s some other stuff that compromised genetically in the females when they have the silver gene. It’s interesting and also annoying when you love the color but don’t need anymore boys! 😝
😭😭😭 I’m sorry you don’t have a Nohope boy! I know you loved him! 😭😭

Good grief! I can't believe they're nearly a year already!!!! 😮
I think we need updated photos 😁

I've been railroaded into taking in pets too - good job I'm a sucker for fur, feathers and scales so I don't really mind 🤣
They will be!! They are all a hot mess 🤣. Even momma looks at us like, “HELP ME!!”. They are pretty good dogs though. They listen, well all but one. She is like her momma was and just says to us “I do what I want”. And she does 🙄🤣. We had one friend that was going to buy a boy from us but she had to back out because of her horse. We are for sure ok with that, we didn’t really want to sell them anyway. I will have to update with a pictures soon. I know the next few days is going to be super busy!

I really don’t mind either. These guys are cute as can be and so is their parents. And they are quite. Which is more than I can say about the dogs 🤣

Our coop is done! Well it needs painted and what have you but the house is up! Hardwire is up as well for the ventilation. This is the biggest house we have built so far. A few weeks ago when we just had the walls up (picture is attached) we had winds over 120 from a storm that came through. It didn’t budge it. But a metal shed we had that was anchored to a foundation was taken and tossed around. Really just glad none of my specialty chickens were in it because that is what it was going to be used for.

Attachments

• 5E9B71FB-A06B-42E4-BF20-6E31A0D917F6.jpeg
    5E9B71FB-A06B-42E4-BF20-6E31A0D917F6.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 0
  • 380119DA-C3E1-47D2-B01B-93AB91B29B8B.jpeg
    380119DA-C3E1-47D2-B01B-93AB91B29B8B.jpeg
    498 KB · Views: 0
  • B6887D97-B217-4F17-A2A2-F0C2F27B3FEB.jpeg
    B6887D97-B217-4F17-A2A2-F0C2F27B3FEB.jpeg
    635.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FD9A9DDD-DCB1-414D-B344-E9C9DFCE9D45.jpeg
    FD9A9DDD-DCB1-414D-B344-E9C9DFCE9D45.jpeg