What did you do with your flock today?

I gave away 7 cockerels and will be giving more away tomorrow morning. My feed bill will be happy and I get to put off learning how to dispatch and dress a bird for a while longer.
Make sure you have all the right tools before you start processing from cutlery to a means of quick chilling after plucking and cleaning out the insides. Some have made the mistake of not waiting a day chilling birds before cooking. That is a no, no.

Make sure you have all the right tools before you start processing from cutlery to a means of quick chilling after plucking and cleaning out the insides. Some have made the mistake of not waiting a day chilling birds before cooking. That is a no, no.
Been watching videos and Facebook homesteaders talking about that.

Unless they just wanted to strengthen their jaw muscles...lol

Unless they just wanted to strengthen their jaw muscles...lol
It helps to know what you are doing if you raise meat birds and just don't feed a bunch of chickens until you are tired of fooling with them when they are three years old and process them as fryers...... That would take more than a weight lifters jaw muscles.

I am getting less eggs, only 4 or 5. The molt is surely around the corner, all except Velma. DH has been helping me by filling the feeders and picking up feed and such. I get this surgery bandage off tomorrow morning, Yay, and can finally wash my hand and arm, but will not be able to lift more than 5 # , or 2.4 kg for 12 weeks. Therapy until around Christmas.
Do you all add more protein to the feed for feather growing, or just switch to a higher protein and leave oyster shell on the side? With one pullet who will probably lay through the winter, not quite sure. I think she may have laid a soft or no shell, as we picked up a bunch of very messy eggs one day. Most times the eaten eggs weren't so spread around.

I gave away 7 cockerels and will be giving more away tomorrow morning. My feed bill will be happy and I get to put off learning how to dispatch and dress a bird for a while longer.
I took in some cockerels and gave them a home as long as they live or I do. One is a beautiful Easter Egger and 3 are crosses with American Game and Indio Gigantes. They are very beautiful as well. I had one lady drive a couple hundred miles or so to give me her pet rooster to keep. She was afraid someone would eat her pet white rock roo. He's one of my buddies now. On a very sad note a predator got one of my favorite roos that I had taken in.

Last edited:
It helps to know what you are doing if you raise meat birds and just don't feed a bunch of chickens until you are tired of fooling with them when they are three years old and process them as fryers...... That would take more than a weight lifters jaw muscles.
I raised meat birds like 30 years ago for 4H. I didn't actually get to process them we took them somewhere for that but I did get to watch.

What I'll be processing here will be birds for pressure cooking or making homemade cat food. They will be 6 to 9 month old culls from breeding projects for egg laying and dual purpose birds. Could end up as older birds as well but I'm reading up on uses for the older culls.

I raised meat birds like 30 years ago for 4H. I didn't actually get to process them we took them somewhere for that but I did get to watch.

What I'll be processing here will be birds for pressure cooking or making homemade cat food. They will be 6 to 9 month old culls from breeding projects for egg laying and dual purpose birds. Could end up as older birds as well but I'm reading up on uses for the older culls.
At our place chicken and dumplings.

Back
Top Bottom