What did you do with your flock today?

I took a photo like this today of the white giant pullet using the feeder for a nest box. I finally caught her in the act. She will soon out grow that nest box. I'll have to figure out how to get it off my phone.
I have the app for BYC, and so I use this button
Screenshot_20230921-213716.png

To add photos to posts.

I have the app for BYC, and so I use this buttonView attachment 3641815

To add photos to posts.
I think I can hook my phone to my pc with a cable and it works like an external hard drive. I hope that works. I need a pocket camera to tote out with me. I took another photo of my Easter Egger roo I name Shuster. We had Simon and Shuster until a predator got Simon one night. I don't know what or how but he was never seen the next day or ever again. Sure miss him. Both were lover boys unlike most roosters.

So... First chick from my second broody hen hatched this evening. It was the hen's first brood... And she attacked the chick.
IMG_20230921_213540.jpg
IMG_20230921_213544.jpg

So I have the chick on a heating pad and I'm eye dropping egg yolk mixed with honey and water in the side of her beak every 10 minutes or so. Figure I'll keep it up for an hour or so (possibly until it's actually dried off, depends on when I start dropping off)

I sprayed vetericyn on the wound on it's head and put vetericyn eye stuff in it's eye.

The chick just hatched, and when I go to bed, I'm going to put it under my other hen that has chicks...

... Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I think I can hook my phone to my pc with a cable and it works like an external hard drive. I hope that works. I need a pocket camera to tote out with me. I took another photo of my Easter Egger roo I name Shuster. We had Simon and Shuster until a predator got Simon one night. I don't know what or how but he was never seen the next day or ever again. Sure miss him. Both were lover boys unlike most roosters.
Yeah, my charging cord will connect my phone to my laptop and work as a data transfer cord.

I hope it works. It should if the other hen's chicks are not more than a day or so old. Is this the only chick she attacked?
I have 2 broodies going right now. This chick is the only hatchling from the second batch so far, so yes, it's the only one that got attacked.

I happened to have a different hen that went broody about a week ago... So she's sitting on the rest of the eggs.

Luckily other broody hen had most of her brood hatch yesterday, and she's still sitting on the last egg that hasn't hatched... So I think she'll accept this little one.

I have 2 broodies going right now. This chick is the only hatchling from the second batch so far, so yes, it's the only one that got attacked.

I happened to have a different hen that went broody about a week ago... So she's sitting on the rest of the eggs.

Luckily other broody hen had most of her brood hatch yesterday, and she's still sitting on the last egg that hasn't hatched... So I think she'll accept this little one.
Have you got a brooder on standby in case she attacks the rest of the brood she is setting on as they hatch? I hope she doesn't but hens & cows can be fickle.

Back
Top Bottom