What did you do with your flock today?

OMG it came a torrential downpour!

It started as a slight sprinkle with terrible lighting and thunder. I went out to get the chickens in and it opened up on us!

Most went inside the two coops, but the dummies that like to sleep in the trees where just standing around or trying to get under things that wouldn't protect them.

I would get some in and go to get others only for the previous bunch to leave. 😒 I finally get them all in. I'm soaked to the bone and I find a problem! The tarp on the pen isn't enough to keep them all from getting wet.

So I go to the garage to get the extra tarp I got for just this kind of issue. It's a heavy duty 16 x 30. Unfolded it on my own in the downpour and got it over the coop and zip tied by the light of the lighting. I hope none of them got to wet or I'm gona have sneezing.😑

It's still lighting and grumbling right now. There also a slight rain still going on. We may have gotten 1/2 an inch in under 5 minutes. By the time I was done with everything water was over my feet in places.

It started as a slight sprinkle with terrible lighting and thunder. I went out to get the chickens in and it opened up on us!

Most went inside the two coops, but the dummies that like to sleep in the trees where just standing around or trying to get under things that wouldn't protect them.

I would get some in and go to get others only for the previous bunch to leave. 😒 I finally get them all in. I'm soaked to the bone and I find a problem! The tarp on the pen isn't enough to keep them all from getting wet.

So I go to the garage to get the extra tarp I got for just this kind of issue. It's a heavy duty 16 x 30. Unfolded it on my own in the downpour and got it over the coop and zip tied by the light of the lighting. I hope none of them got to wet or I'm gona have sneezing.😑

It's still lighting and grumbling right now. There also a slight rain still going on. We may have gotten 1/2 an inch in under 5 minutes. By the time I was done with everything water was over my feet in places.
I'm not going to lie, I'm shocked your tarp wasn't whipped away by the wind. Typically when we get down pours like that, it looks like a movie, with sideways rain and a wind of 20 mph.
... but I live in a slightly different area than you do.
Congrats on over-coming the weather! Your chickens will probably deal better with getting soaked than you will. Make sure you get into dry clothes asap!

I'm not going to lie, I'm shocked your tarp wasn't whipped away by the wind. Typically when we get down pours like that, it looks like a movie, with sideways rain and a wind of 20 mph.
... but I live in a slightly different area than you do.
Congrats on over-coming the weather! Your chickens will probably deal better with getting soaked than you will. Make sure you get into dry clothes asap!
Winds where not as bad as I thought it should be. Tree tops where moving more higher up but wasn't getting that at ground level.

I got a warm shower and dry clothes asap when I got in.

God bless you. I used to volunteer for a local animal rescue and was amazed at the unselfish devotion by those who did the trapping, and those who housed the cats. I just cleaned.
Oh gosh, I am soooo exhausted. I also (someone please call me an idiot) said yes to helping unload a bunch of materials for the new and being built, additional housing for kitties for KCCP on KHS land. 👍Very cool. Had to drive home to dose kitties and then rode back on bike 45 minutes.
Then I get a call for the Cottages about another kitten ... :ththis one is blind, full of fleas.... hopefully she will regain some sight 🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞
20230925_183309.jpg

But the exhaustion is worth is because Makane has 2 open eyes now (!!!)
20230925_182943.jpg
Tally is getting stocked by 2 playfully and incorporated kittens, hopefully he will quit being such a mommas boy 🥰
20230925_183051.jpg

And these guys are starting to think I am cool 😸💕
20230925_152139.jpg

Can't wait to incorporate them into the condo. They are not playing yet... 🫤

I’ve been in Texas when storms like that happen, and I’m forever in awe at how fast they start and how much rain and lightning come with it! It’s crazy! I’m glad you were able to get things covered. We had a rainstorm a couple years ago where we got 6” in one day and I had running water across my whole chicken area an inch deep. I had to go out while it was dumping and dig an actual trench to stop the water from pooling under one of my coops and I’ve never been colder, wetter or muddier! The things we do for our chickens! 😆 Especially the dummies that just stand around in it like nothings amiss! 😆😆

Oh gosh, I am soooo exhausted. I also (someone please call me an idiot) said yes to helping unload a bunch of materials for the new and being built, additional housing for kitties for KCCP on KHS land. 👍Very cool. Had to drive home to dose kitties and then rode back on bike 45 minutes.
Then I get a call for the Cottages about another kitten ... :ththis one is blind, full of fleas.... hopefully she will regain some sight 🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞View attachment 3645592
But the exhaustion is worth is because Makane has 2 open eyes now (!!!)View attachment 3645594Tally is getting stocked by 2 playfully and incorporated kittens, hopefully he will quit being such a mommas boy 🥰View attachment 3645595
And these guys are starting to think I am cool 😸💕View attachment 3645596
All the sweet kitties ❤️❤️ I cannot imagine the exhaustion! You have been heavy lifting with all sorts of things and I’m tired just thinking about it! They are so lucky to have you! I’m glad I don’t live at all close…or I’d be adding more cats 😆 I hope the new one regains some vision as she feels better! Poor sweet baby 🥺🥺

Amazing how much can come down at once! Sounds like you did a great job getting everyone safe and protected! Hope your warm, dry and toasty now 😃

Then I get a call for the Cottages about another kitten ... :ththis one is blind, full of fleas.... hopefully she will regain some sight 🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞View attachment 3645592
But the exhaustion is worth is because Makane has 2 open eyes now (!!!)View attachment 3645594Tally is getting stocked by 2 playfully and incorporated kittens, hopefully he will quit being such a mommas boy 🥰View attachment 3645595
And these guys are starting to think I am cool 😸💕View attachment 3645596
I'm half in love with a couple of them just from pictures 😍. You have a house full of fun (and hard work!) now!

Back
Top Bottom