What did you do with your flock today?

We got the run ready for the winter. Purchased clear, medium weight shower curtains around the run. Kept the upper part open for ventilation. The girls seem to enjoy being out of the wind, as it is getting much cooler here. Also we hung a perch swing for the girls in the run. It is 5' long, made out of a sturdy tree branch. I hung it from the roof and should be sturdy enough for them to "hang" out during the day. I did it while my bride was watching the girls free range. Will see how they like it tomorrow during the day.

I'm convinced I need to get mine a pumpkin now. I hope they won't get mad because it isn't eggs or cracked corn. I think that the skin must be removed from where the eyes and mouth are to get them to target that area?
I scrape the skin away from the arras I want them to first work on, but most times they attack Mr Pumpkin from all angles!

I really love when they stick their heads in for the seeds!
066C6340-FAFB-4122-92F6-581DAE316AF0.jpeg

My big Cornish Cross girls and boys turn a year old Tuesday and I want to have a healthy treat party for them. Are there any fruits or berries they shouldn't have? I'm thinking strawberries and grapes at least. I know I can get fresh oranges this time of year too and can peel and cut sections of them up. Maybe some pear too if they are ok. This is a spur of the moment thing as I didn't think about the date the turn 1 until today.
That's a fun idea! I know avocado and onions are bad for them and citrus in large amounts. They do fine with small amounts of citrus though. Not sure that's everything but it's the ones I keep an eye on here.
Hope you guys have fun 🥰

That's a fun idea! I know avocado and onions are bad for them and citrus in large amounts. They do fine with small amounts of citrus though. Not sure that's everything but it's the ones I keep an eye on here.
Hope you guys have fun 🥰
If the blueberries make this coming summer I hope we can freeze a lot of the to treat the flocks to a little along.

If the blueberries make this coming summer I hope we can freeze a lot of the to treat the flocks to a little along.
O to pick fresh blueberries and have enough to freeze! We're really too hot for them here but I keep trying. I get an occasional rare berry at best so far so no sharing with the birds here. Lucky birds you have!

O to pick fresh blueberries and have enough to freeze! We're really too hot for them here but I keep trying. I get an occasional rare berry at best so far so no sharing with the birds here. Lucky birds you have!
There should be a variety of the Rabbiteye berries that would do well for you. I planted 4 varieties of the rabbiteye berries and all seem to be doing well here in the gulf coast heat. I did lower the pH with some epson salt.

Last edited:
I scrape the skin away from the arras I want them to first work on, but most times they attack Mr Pumpkin from all angles!

I really love when they stick their heads in for the seeds!
View attachment 3671277
Oh My Gosh!!! That looks more fun than a barrel of monkeys!!!!! I absolutely LOVE THAT. Now I want  need a pumpkin 🎃
Thanks for the awesome and inspirational shares.

After a day off yesterday, I had a busy day today. Had some overdue chores- kitty condo and nest boxes. Rubbish pick up is tomorrow, so good to get some things gone.
I also mowed both lawns this afternoon and enjoyed seeing the flock graze the tidbits.
20231029_153443.jpg

Prettiest little things... except for the late season molters 🤦‍♀️ Just gotta feel sorry for those 2 girls 💕
20231029_153756.jpg

So darn nice having some of my babies back home 🧡🧡🧡

Got the kittens flea dropped. For this, I took each one out individually, gave them a drop on their neck and then placed in brooder till condo was empty. Then I could really get in there and clean up the condo while it was empty.
20231029_112831.jpg

Kitty soup. They did not want to come out lol
20231029_113041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom