What did you do with your flock today?

She ha
Glad she was found. It is very sad when they become loners. I got a rescue chick last spring, and she was always pecked and alone. She became a target for a predator just after she bagan laying. Everyone who has been on here remembers Velma, the one on my avatar.
She has definitely been a challenge! She was attacked by dogs near my house ans neighbors assumed she was mine. Fortunately she only had feather loss and no punctures. Her feathers have all come back. My flock isn't attacking her anymore but she's still not joining them. I picked up to Ameraucana pullets yesterday to house with her so she can make friends and hopefully it will be easier to I tegret them as a group!
I'm so sorry to hear about Velma and her struggles!

I think today is the first time that we have discovered a hidden nest with over 30 eggs in it. We have 4 Ancona pullets that have the run of the place every day and have only found a very few eggs. They had not been laying where we could find their eggs and were not sure they where even laying. Got to have a talk with them girls about using a nest box.

More Olena adventures. Yesterday morning I heard her in her bedroom when I woke up so went to check. She was not in her box. ????? not on the floor, but in her box under the sling. Sometime during the night she had gotten out of the sling, and slithered her way into the hole at the rear of it, going underneath. She did not eat much yesterday due to her little traumatic night. Today, I noticed she was more forward so took a look, and her legs are more under her than stretched out in front of her, standing mostly on her right leg, but body leaning to the right. Readjusted her sling so she wouldn't be so far forward with her head over her food too far, and put a bumper on her right side to help her be more upright, and to get more exercise for her left leg
She tries to stand up again more vigorously from laying on her left side, still cannot from the right. Tomorrow starts week #11.
She ha

She has definitely been a challenge! She was attacked by dogs near my house ans neighbors assumed she was mine. Fortunately she only had feather loss and no punctures. Her feathers have all come back. My flock isn't attacking her anymore but she's still not joining them. I picked up to Ameraucana pullets yesterday to house with her so she can make friends and hopefully it will be easier to I tegret them as a group!
I'm so sorry to hear about Velma and her struggles!
Got the fingers crossed for them to be friends. Dogs are not all flock guards, but want to eat them. Luckily I had a blind and nearly deaf old dog before the chickens project began, and she would bend my fencing just trying to get in, and if one was held near her face, she would try to chomp the chicken. Her sniffer worked just fine. Luckily just feather loss.

Got my gator stuck in a snow drift trying to go see the girls today. Never got it unstuck, will try snowshoes and a backpack tomorrow. I’m worried sick but am sure they are doing okay in their run, huddled together to keep each other warm. They have a nice home and run! Will have to remake their warm oatmeal I was bringing down for a treat!

More Olena adventures. Yesterday morning I heard her in her bedroom when I woke up so went to check. She was not in her box. ????? not on the floor, but in her box under the sling. Sometime during the night she had gotten out of the sling, and slithered her way into the hole at the rear of it, going underneath. She did not eat much yesterday due to her little traumatic night. Today, I noticed she was more forward so took a look, and her legs are more under her than stretched out in front of her, standing mostly on her right leg, but body leaning to the right. Readjusted her sling so she wouldn't be so far forward with her head over her food too far, and put a bumper on her right side to help her be more upright, and to get more exercise for her left leg
She tries to stand up again more vigorously from laying on her left side, still cannot from the right. Tomorrow starts week #11.

Got the fingers crossed for them to be friends. Dogs are not all flock guards, but want to eat them. Luckily I had a blind and nearly deaf old dog before the chickens project began, and she would bend my fencing just trying to get in, and if one was held near her face, she would try to chomp the chicken. Her sniffer worked just fine. Luckily just feather loss.
I have cats that I call my "birb herders" they are very protective of the flock. These were stray/unrecognized dogs. Thankfully the neighbors know I'm the chicken lady😂 when I fisrts got started and my flock was about 6 months old the neighbors boxers found a gap in the fence. Dipper did his job and only lost a few tail feathers before they went back to their own yard😂

I can't tell you how many times I've panicked when a bird isn't where they're supposed to be! I was in a pseudo panic this am because my automatic coop door hadn't opened! Glad you found her safe!

Attachments

• 20231207_154602.jpg
    20231207_154602.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 2
It's blowing pretty hard here, a cold wind but not freezing. This morning the flock seemed normal, but when I checked on them about 3pm all the hens appeared to be irritable, chasing each other and pecking. They have food and water, was thinking that maybe the gusting winds might be upsetting them.

They're in a hoop coop, which is open on all four sides. There is an A-frame roost they could shelter under to get out of the wind.

Anyone experience something similar to this?

I think today is the first time that we have discovered a hidden nest with over 30 eggs in it. We have 4 Ancona pullets that have the run of the place every day and have only found a very few eggs. They had not been laying where we could find their eggs and were not sure they where even laying. Got to have a talk with them girls about using a nest box.
They can sure be cagey. Before I had a supply shed out by the chicken coop, I used to store straw under a tarp. One day I opened the tarp to get some straw and found a few dozen eggs!

I'm sure you can scold some sense into those silly girls! 😉 :lau But seriously - 30 EGGS, from 4 girls? Ladies, PLEASE!

They can sure be cagey. Before I had a supply shed out by the chicken coop, I used to store straw under a tarp. One day I opened the tarp to get some straw and found a few dozen eggs!
😲 Those rascals were sneaking under a tarp to lay all those eggs? I'd never think to look in a spot like that. Guess I have a long way to go to achieve "chicken brain"...😉😆

Back
Top Bottom