What did you do with your flock today?

Biscotti ♥️
1000008867.jpg
1000008881.jpg
1000008876.jpg

Due to living over an hour from any large home improvement store(or city) we finally made it out of town and got some peat moss and sand for the girls. Their dirt bathing area had dwindled but they still had areas. With weather and work travel was not an option until today.

Eta while we do have a tsc and Walmart they don't always carry the items we need, go figure lol

They seem to like it. Also got some lime and wood ash from my dad and got it all mixed.

Now, hopefully this week I can scrap out the deep litter coop floor to add fresh. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain lol

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_202132242.jpg
    PXL_20240128_202132242.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 5
I let my chickens out to roam the yard for an hour this evening. One of my birds is great at foraging, and went off by herself into the front yard, while the other six were in the back by the woods.

After a while I walked up to find out what was so interesting in front of the house. I watched my forager pluck what looked like an 8" long nightcrawler from the grass and swallow it down. And a few minutes later she pulled up and swallowed two more smaller nightcrawlers in quick succession. That's what was so interesting to her. Food!

I wish the others had her skill at foraging. They'll scratch and peck, but they don't work as hard and as focused at it as the forager does.

Last edited:
I let my chickens out to roam the yard for an hour this evening. One of my birds is great at foraging, and went off by herself into the front yard, while the other six were in the back by the woods.

After a while I walked up to find out what was so interesting in front of the house. I watched my forager pluck what looked like an 8" long nightcrawler from the grass and swallow it down. And a few minutes later she pulled up and swallowed two more smaller nightcrawlers in quick succession. That's what was so interesting to her. Food!

I wish the others had her skill at foraging. They'll scratch and peck, but they don't work as hard and as focused at it as the forager does.
Mine aren't fond of worms! We don't get nightcrawlers...but my gardens full of little red worms and all my birds turn their beaks up at them! :idunno

Mine aren't fond of worms! We don't get nightcrawlers...but my gardens full of little red worms and all my birds turn their beaks up at them! :idunno
My two Eggers loved earthworms when they were chicks and first allowed to explore outside! But over time I guess they got jaded or picky 🙄, and also "turn their beaks up" 😄at worms. The older pullets are pretty much, "Meh" about worms.

But sowbugs, spiders on the wire fence, or swarms of carpenter ants -- WOWZA! Everyone's leaping around and snapping up those delicacies at lightning speed!

That's fine, I'm happy to leave the worms to do their excellent soil improvement work instead.❤️

Back
Top Bottom