What did you do with your flock today?

My two Eggers loved earthworms when they were chicks and first allowed to explore outside! But over time I guess they got jaded or picky 🙄, and also "turn their beaks up" 😄at worms. The older pullets are pretty much, "Meh" about worms.

But sowbugs, spiders on the wire fence, or swarms of carpenter ants -- WOWZA! Everyone's leaping around and snapping up those delicacies at lightning speed!

That's fine, I'm happy to leave the worms to do their excellent soil improvement work instead.❤️
That's mine too...I just wish they'd eat fire ants, but nope...they won't touch those either 😂.

Okay @Shetland lover I got some video of Willie and his current issue with his leg. I figured the puppy would force him to move around so I could assess his movements and such. Might not help at all with diagnosis but figured I’d try anyway. He seems to have energy and eats and drinks, but he refuses to use it. 😢

Just had to chime in and say your puppy is a cutie pie 😍

Okay @Shetland lover I got some video of Willie and his current issue with his leg. I figured the puppy would force him to move around so I could assess his movements and such. Might not help at all with diagnosis but figured I’d try anyway. He seems to have energy and eats and drinks, but he refuses to use it. 😢

Unfortunately, it doesn't help much with figuring out what's going on but you're right, he definitely doesn't want to use it, does he? 😞
Still no swelling or heat in the leg? Can he grip your fingers? What about his leg joints? Do any feel 'wrong' or like they're rubbing together?

Pup is gorgeous btw 😍 😍😍

Unfortunately, it doesn't help much with figuring out what's going on but you're right, he definitely doesn't want to use it, does he? 😞
Still no swelling or heat in the leg? Can he grip your fingers? What about his leg joints? Do any feel 'wrong' or like they're rubbing together?

Pup is gorgeous btw 😍 😍😍
I know, it was a long shot 😢 No swelling, no heat, I felt all around his body and there’s no lumps, bumps, scabs, heat, nothing. He does move his toes but I wouldn’t say he has good grip. I felt around the hock and no tendon seems messed up…I don’t know what to think other than an injury that’s not visible or something worse 😢😢😢

Thank you! She’s just the sweetest little thing ever. I’m just obsessed with her squishy face and soft fur. 😍

Sleepy Lola 😍
59A61AAD-C521-43C5-B1BE-7E6D3A479D25.jpeg

Did a bunch of chicken chores today while we had some real sun and warmth! Fed the birdies treats, cleaned out yucky wet shavings, filled feeders, covered open coops with tarps, and prepared for the “atmospheric river” that’s supposed to arrive tomorrow. Discovered that the rats managed to find new ways into my male quail pen, so rearranged hardware cloth and soil AGAIN. Also realized that they were eating all my Watermaals food in their breeding pen because it’s too open air at the moment—so officially moved them to the Apt Complex coop. Hoping to add another Watermaal hen to the group at the end of the month, so needed to put them somewhere roomier! Preparing for chick season too…so I cleaned out my old quail hutches for chick grow out “coops”. Need to reinforce them so they too are safe from the rat brigade, but they should hold a bunch till I can sort out the keepers.

I currently have my first batch of breeding coop eggs in the incubator, due to hatch Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed the Watermaal and Ameraucana eggs all hatch! I’m excited to see what they look like 😍

My batch of GFF rare chicks I bought are growing up and about ready to venture to an outside brooder. They love to cuddle pile up against the wall of the tub—the weirdos. 😆

8C6488FD-B376-4FA0-A76E-2DE95672B8DE.jpeg

Lastly, we had the big Pacific Poultry Breeders show this past weekend and I took a bunch of birds. I was super excited that my one pullet Sweet Pea got Reserve of Breed in a group of 44 d’Anvers!
BDA242EC-E709-406B-B11A-1A2EE3F7AE83.jpeg

That’s the most I’ve shown my birds against since I started! When I first started showing last year, we lost out to the quail variety every time! But this year we’ve been beating them more often and I’m super excited about that haha. Quail is a fine variety but it’s all you ever see. This show there were mille fleur, porcelain, mottled, self blue, black, quail and blue quail varieties. Super fun. I also got my poultry project kids to do showmanship and the new girl that’s Aria’s friend won the Novice group and got a belt buckle and cash!
51D302D6-BFA7-4D1A-A076-2B6FFEB46F1F.jpeg

Better get to sleep now, night all

Attachments

• 5B09367E-CE92-4BEF-9CFA-D06F4F2C697C.jpeg
    5B09367E-CE92-4BEF-9CFA-D06F4F2C697C.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 60E881DD-67CB-4405-878B-9C4BAA1478FA.jpeg
    60E881DD-67CB-4405-878B-9C4BAA1478FA.jpeg
    986.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 0065D95E-E6A6-40E8-A4FE-4B47C1ED5AB1.jpeg
    0065D95E-E6A6-40E8-A4FE-4B47C1ED5AB1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • FAA37A52-8F6B-4DB1-8B95-7F72CDF4EDEB.jpeg
    FAA37A52-8F6B-4DB1-8B95-7F72CDF4EDEB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 02C7D650-66C0-4AA3-8FF8-2C1016BA49B2.jpeg
    02C7D650-66C0-4AA3-8FF8-2C1016BA49B2.jpeg
    986.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1A4C7D37-F9DD-4D58-B9D3-00BD1AFFA8A6.jpeg
    1A4C7D37-F9DD-4D58-B9D3-00BD1AFFA8A6.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 3
Did a bunch of chicken chores today while we had some real sun and warmth! Fed the birdies treats, cleaned out yucky wet shavings, filled feeders, covered open coops with tarps, and prepared for the “atmospheric river” that’s supposed to arrive tomorrow. Discovered that the rats managed to find new ways into my male quail pen, so rearranged hardware cloth and soil AGAIN. Also realized that they were eating all my Watermaals food in their breeding pen because it’s too open air at the moment—so officially moved them to the Apt Complex coop. Hoping to add another Watermaal hen to the group at the end of the month, so needed to put them somewhere roomier! Preparing for chick season too…so I cleaned out my old quail hutches for chick grow out “coops”. Need to reinforce them so they too are safe from the rat brigade, but they should hold a bunch till I can sort out the keepers.

I currently have my first batch of breeding coop eggs in the incubator, due to hatch Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed the Watermaal and Ameraucana eggs all hatch! I’m excited to see what they look like 😍

My batch of GFF rare chicks I bought are growing up and about ready to venture to an outside brooder. They love to cuddle pile up against the wall of the tub—the weirdos. 😆

View attachment 3737465
Lastly, we had the big Pacific Poultry Breeders show this past weekend and I took a bunch of birds. I was super excited that my one pullet Sweet Pea got Reserve of Breed in a group of 44 d’Anvers!
View attachment 3737462
That’s the most I’ve shown my birds against since I started! When I first started showing last year, we lost out to the quail variety every time! But this year we’ve been beating them more often and I’m super excited about that haha. Quail is a fine variety but it’s all you ever see. This show there were mille fleur, porcelain, mottled, self blue, black, quail and blue quail varieties. Super fun. I also got my poultry project kids to do showmanship and the new girl that’s Aria’s friend won the Novice group and got a belt buckle and cash!
View attachment 3737463
Better get to sleep now, night all
44 birds to compete against! That's wonderful Kurby! Sweet Peas a lovely little lady. And such a good looking group of happy kids there ♥️ It sounds like a wonderful time you guys had!

I finally got a picture of one of the kitties with her eyes open. They're so active, it's hard to get pictures except in that still moment while they're eating 😂. They're so much like twins in appearance, but Tinks still weaker than Boo. She's doing good though and they're 2 weeks now.
1000008938.jpg
1000008931.jpg
1000008925.jpg
1000008924.jpg

The lady raising the third kitten named him Ace and he's also thriving ♥️. Here's some recent pics she sent me.
1000008949.jpg
1000008948.jpg

Back
Top Bottom