What did you do with your flock today?

I made the rounds this morning alone. Ma is under the weather with a bum shoulder. I think the feathered kids miss her and just tolerate me some days. Ma just has a way with kids. All kinds of kids. Think I'll get her a nanny goat.
Hope ma feels better soon.

Last edited:
@kurby22 I am so sorry to read about the loss of Betty White. Ouch! I bet she taught you a whole lot about chickening and for that I am sure you are very grateful to your sweet saucy girl :hugs ♡♡♡ i also hope you are having good progress with Penny. She is so beautiful ♡♡♡
Thanks ❤️ It was a tough loss 😢 We loved her little sassy attitude and Willie is shortly behind her I think. He just isn’t getting better :-( ❤️‍🩹 Aria is refusing to believe it’s coming soon 😢 We lost Betty and Oreo (cocci too 😒) the same day we hatched 14 new babies. The circle of the chicken and chicken owners life. 😒❤️

Penny seems to be improving, she was yelling at me yesterday and finally ate something. And was able to fly 😍

IMG_9289.jpeg

And Koda is resigned to his lot in life that chickens are friends not food and will not go away 😄

IMG_9326.jpeg

IMG_9321.jpeg

We have been having off and on weather. Mostly extra windy with some splashes making it their way over the mountains. So, feeling a little cat and mouse jumping from one project to another, never really focused well on one thing for long. My dh is off visiting his daughter on another island. This has given me extra time to focus on my deferred stuff plus spend a little extra time with my son's. AJ has needed a little extra care too, but today is yard work day. Going to help my son and then hope he has enough energy to help me. If not, all good. Ill get it done.

Kittens are actually on the late March fly list! 🤞🤞 they make tiny progress every day!!!

I got a ride in to drop bags and then pick up catfood and tortillas at Costco yesterday. Hit a bit of rain but dry on the way home. Must have been a sight strapping a case of catfood to the rear rack. Def "crazy cat lady" stuff. Glad i did not need chicken feed. 🙄🤪🤯

Everything is much the same in my chicken world. Did catch Mazzie in the nest box yesterday. Don't think she was going to lay an egg. Normally, she likes to "accidentally " break an egg and get a snack. I grabbed the eggs b4 she could cause trouble. Collected 14 eggs with no feral eggs. 👍 selling them about as fast as they lay them.

I did give a fellow chicken farmer a big box of excess plastic egg cartons.
1000005170.jpg
Part of my deferred maintenance catch up. Was a big load to let go of. Feels good. I'll collect more from my friends, customers and family and do it again.

K. Gotta get after chores. Happy 🌺 Aloha Saturday all! Hope your day is great!!! 🐔💕

Last edited:
Thanks ❤️ It was a tough loss 😢 We loved her little sassy attitude and Willie is shortly behind her I think. He just isn’t getting better :-( ❤️‍🩹 Aria is refusing to believe it’s coming soon 😢 We lost Betty and Oreo (cocci too 😒) the same day we hatched 14 new babies. The circle of the chicken and chicken owners life. 😒❤️

Penny seems to be improving, she was yelling at me yesterday and finally ate something. And was able to fly 😍

View attachment 3761741

And Koda is resigned to his lot in life that chickens are friends not food and will not go away 😄

View attachment 3761742
View attachment 3761743
Too funny!!! Love the antics 😆
Glad Penny is improving! I love getting yelled at by chickens myself ♡♡♡
What a rollercoaster of emotions.

My ferals have lost a lot of babies as is expected. Think the d@## sticktight fleas are to blame. Poor babies. I help where I can but am grateful for the thinning. I now have 4 moms and at least 40 chicks. Still getting bit by 2 broodies in my nest boxes but glad they are sitting on fake eggs and won't be adding to the chaos.

Enjoy your family ♡ enjoy your day!

Yup, in Texas you can have 4 seasons in a 24 hour period.

Yes. We also have this... Which I found last year.

Screenshot_20230924-110901~2.png

I believe I am currently at "spring of Deception". Today there's a dust storm, and the hubs went to help some of the folks that got their farms burnt in the fires.

Today the Wellie flock got checked for bumblefoot (or re-checked, I guess), and everyone got spinach...

They have forgiven me for the snow. They never forgive the lack of endless spinach lmao.

Too funny!!! Love the antics 😆
Glad Penny is improving! I love getting yelled at by chickens myself ♡♡♡
What a rollercoaster of emotions.

My ferals have lost a lot of babies as is expected. Think the d@## sticktight fleas are to blame. Poor babies. I help where I can but am grateful for the thinning. I now have 4 moms and at least 40 chicks. Still getting bit by 2 broodies in my nest boxes but glad they are sitting on fake eggs and won't be adding to the chaos.

Enjoy your family ♡ enjoy your day!
Yeah it’s total chaos around here right now! 🤪 Although 40 feral chicks sounds a bit chaotic too! Poor babies with the fleas. :-(

Today I moved the teenagers outside to a temp coop until the rain passes, then moved the 3 week olds to the big inside coop, moved the 2 week olds into the bigger tubs, and the just hatched into their brooder. Dumped out shavings, cleaned feeders and waterers, swept floors, vacuumed, and did a lot of cursing 🤪🤪 waterers are a PIA inside! 😤 But all the babies are now happily cheeping and dust bathing in fresh bedding. I bought the temp coop off marketplace. It’s a really solid little coop with lots more space for the birds. Nothing special, but well made and roomier!

IMG_9337.jpeg

IMG_9336.jpeg

View attachment 3761741

View attachment 3761742
View attachment 3761743
Penny's so lovely and Koda looks comfy 😂🥰

We have been having off and on weather. Mostly extra windy with some splashes making it their way over the mountains. So, feeling a little cat and mouse jumping from one project to another, never really focused well on one thing for long. My dh is off visiting his daughter on another island. This has given me extra time to focus on my deferred stuff plus spend a little extra time with my son's. AJ has needed a little extra care too, but today is yard work day. Going to help my son and then hope he has enough energy to help me. If not, all good. Ill get it done.

Kittens are actually on the late March fly list! 🤞🤞 they make tiny progress every day!!!

I got a ride in to drop bags and then pick up catfood and tortillas at Costco yesterday. Hit a bit of rain but dry on the way home. Must have been a sight strapping a case of catfood to the rear rack. Def "crazy cat lady" stuff. Glad i did not need chicken feed. 🙄🤪🤯

Everything is much the same in my chicken world. Did catch Mazzie in the nest box yesterday. Don't think she was going to lay an egg. Normally, she likes to "accidentally " break an egg and get a snack. I grabbed the eggs b4 she could cause trouble. Collected 14 eggs with no feral eggs. 👍 selling them about as fast as they lay them.

I did give a fellow chicken farmer a big box of excess plastic egg cartons.View attachment 3761753 Part of my deferred maintenance catch up. Was a big load to let go of. Feels good. I'll collect more from my friends, customers and family and do it again.

K. Gotta get after chores. Happy 🌺 Aloha Saturday all! Hope your day is great!!! 🐔💕
Yowza on the feral babies! Any idea how your going to handle it when they're grown and determined to keep calling you home base?

Back
Top Bottom