What did you do with your flock today?

On important thing I did today also is I caught the last remaining at large rooster. He is now confined to quarters. Instead of fencing each garden plot I'm going to do runs that will make big hoop houses bigger. They will have the benefit of large coops that protect from bad weather and a run large enough to allow them plenty of room for sunshine.

My second generation of yokohama/aloha mix has started to hatch ♥️. There's also one second generation yoko/cemani cross. I only kept the girls and I bred them back to a different yokohama rooster from their dad so they're heavy on the yokohama genes but no inbreeding. I can't wait to see how they grow up! All have yoko looking combs so far and I know they'll all grow up spotted. The cemani cross is the blue baby and there's one almost white baby with the head spots like I've only seen in dwarf chicks before. They're just soooo cute! 🥰🥰🥰View attachment 3774632View attachment 3774633View attachment 3774634
Sooo cute!! 😍😍😍

Man this weekend was a blur! Yesterday we spent most all of the day doing Opening Day softball activities (parade, ceremonies, pictures, and scrimmage games). We got home at 3:30 exhausted and sunburned and everyone fell asleep till almost 6…so the day was shot! Today I met up with a girlfriend for brunch, then ran to Lowe’s for some supplies, and finally upgraded the run for Love Shack B. It’s only 4 chickens (Duke the satin roo with a black silkie and two blue cream silkies) but the run was small and the rats had made such a mess they couldn’t really use it like normal chickens. So I put in some no dig panels and covered it with sunshade cloth and then added pine shavings. They seemed so happy and immediately started dust bathing in the shavings. 😍

IMG_9709.jpeg

Hoping the space makes them happy 😃 Now the rats can go in and out of the run without needing to dig holes—I HOPE.

Then we headed to our poultry project meeting to practice showmanship before the Youth Show next weekend. Aria dressed up Duke before the meeting…

IMG_9712.jpeg

And one of the girls who bought a d’Anver from me last spring was letting someone practice with her and they got her to lay like this on her own 😆 Never seen such a chill bird about upside downness! 😆

IMG_9717.jpeg

So now I’m beat and the weekend is already over 😫 The one plus is my staff meeting tomorrow will be short cuz the boss is out of town! Woohoo. 🥳

My second generation of yokohama/aloha mix has started to hatch ♥️. There's also one second generation yoko/cemani cross. I only kept the girls and I bred them back to a different yokohama rooster from their dad so they're heavy on the yokohama genes but no inbreeding. I can't wait to see how they grow up! All have yoko looking combs so far and I know they'll all grow up spotted. The cemani cross is the blue baby and there's one almost white baby with the head spots like I've only seen in dwarf chicks before. They're just soooo cute! 🥰🥰🥰View attachment 3774632View attachment 3774633View attachment 3774634
Oh my! So adorable 😍 😍🥰😍🥰
That blue baby though! So pretty and so much sass already!

Man this weekend was a blur! Yesterday we spent most all of the day doing Opening Day softball activities (parade, ceremonies, pictures, and scrimmage games). We got home at 3:30 exhausted and sunburned and everyone fell asleep till almost 6…so the day was shot! Today I met up with a girlfriend for brunch, then ran to Lowe’s for some supplies, and finally upgraded the run for Love Shack B. It’s only 4 chickens (Duke the satin roo with a black silkie and two blue cream silkies) but the run was small and the rats had made such a mess they couldn’t really use it like normal chickens. So I put in some no dig panels and covered it with sunshade cloth and then added pine shavings. They seemed so happy and immediately started dust bathing in the shavings. 😍

View attachment 3775055

Hoping the space makes them happy 😃 Now the rats can go in and out of the run without needing to dig holes—I HOPE.

Then we headed to our poultry project meeting to practice showmanship before the Youth Show next weekend. Aria dressed up Duke before the meeting…

View attachment 3775059

And one of the girls who bought a d’Anver from me last spring was letting someone practice with her and they got her to lay like this on her own 😆 Never seen such a chill bird about upside downness! 😆

View attachment 3775061

So now I’m beat and the weekend is already over 😫 The one plus is my staff meeting tomorrow will be short cuz the boss is out of town! Woohoo. 🥳
Such a stylish young man about town! The hat in particular looks spectacular! 🤣
I'd have to have a week off after a weekend like that!

Oh my goodness!!!! Look at that face 😍 I'm in love with the little blue ♡♡♡. Those are some perfect babies. Bravo!! 👏👏👏

Last edited:

View attachment 3775055

View attachment 3775059

View attachment 3775061

My kids used to love to do that with the chickens too....they were always so tickled about it 😂.

That sounds like a great way to spend a weekend! Hope you find the time to rest a little over the week so next weekend can be as busy 😅😉🥰

I cleared away the fir tree needles and cones from my asphalt driveway today. I filled the nest boxes with the clean fir needles and dumped the rest of the needles, twigs and cones into the run for the chickens to scratch through.

One of these days I'm going to upgrade the cardboard box nest boxes and build some wooden ones. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the energy.

Back
Top Bottom