What is the best way to fasten a seam in hardware cloth?

The zip ties will get old fast and break. If you can, the best option would be to just add a 2x4 to that spot that you have the seam and fasten it with some galv or coated screws with some fender washers. But I don't know what your coop/run looks like and if that is an option, but if not the wire that came with the hardwire cloth wrapped around it could be used to "stitch" the two pieces together or you can buy a bag of metal chain link fencing fasteners at Home Depot or Lowes and try that, I know they sell a special pair of pliers that make them easier to attach, but you might just be able to use regular pliers instead.

If your talking about a fence they have hooks specially made for attaching the cloth to the fencing. I used T posts and the clips. Works great and is sturdy. I also used the piece that was wrapped around the roll of hardware cloth like thread and sewed the two ends together. I did use zip ties to attach my shade cloth to the top of the hardware fencing. I figured it will last a couple of years and is pretty cheap to replace when needed.

Last edited:
Quote:
All good ideas in this post. A raccoon can chew through a zip tie faster than you can say "Dang it!" If you're going to use hardware cloth, how you close up the seams needs to be as predator safe as the hardware cloth is. Adding a 2X4 would be best, especially on both sides of the seam since it is a weak spot and this way they can't find any opening to get their little fingers under and pry the wire back. It might not look pretty, but when it comes to chickens, you need to put safety first.

I agree making a hardware cloth sandwich with 2x4s is the most secure way. You may be able to overlap the hardware cloth and use cage clips to hold it. You would need at least a six inch overlap and a lot of cage clips.
There are special pliers for crimping the clips too. I am sorry I do not recall where I got mine at since they were left over from the rabbit days.

I used the wire that was wrapped around the roll to sew the overlaps together. You will need one person on the outside and one on the inside to make it eaiser. you could also buy a roll of galv. wire.

Is your seem vertical or horizontal? For my run, I simply wrapped the hardware cloth all the way around from doorframe to door frame, tightening by fastening to the 2x4 frame as I went. Since my run is 6 feet tall, my seems were horizontal. I simply overlapped the cloth by about 6 inches and used flexible picture frame wire to "stitch" them together. It worked well. A few areas where there was slack I shored up with twist ties (mostly to keep squirrels out).

I used a roll of galvanized wire and sewed all along the seams, as mentioned above. It worked great.

Back
Top Bottom