What kind of dog would be good to get?

Pics

Linnre

Songster
May 25, 2022
Texas
I want a new puppy. I have 6 chickens that mostly stay in their coop/run area but sometimes are let out into the yard. I was looking at Pyredoodles then Goldendoodles. I finally found some Pyredoodle puppies that were more reasonably priced than the Goldendoodles but the owner said that any dog bred with a poodle will kill chickens. That rules out lots of dogs.

I’m looking for a cuddly sweet dog but not opposed to the Pyredoodle either. The one I found would be about 50 pounds. I was told they are very much people dogs and sometimes even used for therapy dogs. I hoped it might help protect my chickens but if not, at least not kill them! I don’t want a dog so small a hawk would get it either. We want a light or non shedding dog.

We are (not too old) grandparents raising our almost 8 year old grandson.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited:
It depends on how much time you plan to spend training the dog to leave your chickens alone. I have a border collie. Awesome dog but has been a real challenge when she was younger and I used to train dogs. She is older now but will chase if I’m not out with her. She will herd them in thought if need be.

Poodles were bred as bird dogs. Anything with "doodle" at the end is going to be a problem, as well as any of the retrievers. Research any breed you consider. Eliminate anything bred to hunt, and whatever you choose be prepared to train it that the chickens belong to YOU.

Have you considered going to a rescue?
I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but we have got two of the best dogs possible from one.
And if you go for a slightly older dog, they should have a good idea if it has a strong prey drive or not.
I quite understand if you want to go for something purebred, but all the doodles and things are just mutts anyway.

Doodle = mutt. Naw. It's a purpose-bred cross-breed. A lurcher isn't a mutt either.

I don't think doodles are so great, though.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Don't do it.
I know, it's a terribly negative reply but I'm going to assume you haven't kept a dog before because if you had, you wouldn't be asking the questions in the first place.
The only exception I can think of is a dog that is already trained, preferably by another dog to not chase livestock.

Don't do it.
I know, it's a terribly negative reply but I'm going to assume you haven't kept a dog before because if you had, you wouldn't be asking the questions in the first place.
The only exception I can think of is a dog that is already trained, preferably by another dog to not chase livestock.
I don’t agree. Maybe she has never had dogs with chickens before. That’s certainly a possibility. I’ve had dogs my entire life and maybe you have as well. It’s better to ask then get the wrong breed and watch the dog hurt the chickens.

Don't do it.
I have a dog that is mostly lab. Has all the lab qualities except a bit of curl in his tail. He was rescued. He is now 11 years old and we have had our chickens a year and a half. He shows no interest in harming them at all. That’s my personal experience with a dog and chickens. I knew not to get an aggressive dog but was surprised to find out a poodle could be just that.

My highland collie never saw a chicken in her life 'til she came home with me. Her sire is a therapy dog and her dam a family pet. But she's biddable and has centuries of breeding to be trustworthy with livestock.

She looks just like Beatrix Potter's dog Kep and acts like storybook-Kep, too.

Back
Top Bottom