What to do for Mites/Lice on Juvenile Chicks?

Mar 11, 2023
Hi guys,

I believe a young rooster chick that I was given today has either mites or lice. I would love to be wrong, so please help me identify what's going on in the attached pictures! If I'm right, how do I treat the chicks for them? He was given to me along with some female chicks I'd purchased from a backyard breeder. I didn't notice anything with the females, so I had put them into a brooder with about 15 other chicks. Then I noticed something was up with the rooster (pale comb, dandruffy appearance, sticky yellow clumps on feathers that won't pull off easily, scales on legs curling up at the edges, and dirty calluses on feet). Now I'm worried I'll have to treat 20 chicks of various ages, and I don't know where to start...

I don't have a vet who sees chickens near me.
Has anyone successfully treated for mites/lice in chicks using ivermectin in their water?

Attachments

• marans roo mites on feet 3.10.23.jpg
    marans roo mites on feet 3.10.23.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 32
  • marans roo mites on feathers 3.10.23.jpg
    marans roo mites on feathers 3.10.23.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to BYC

Please post photos of the whole bird and his poop too! Thanks.

Foot has pododermatitis from being on wet litter. Read this thread and follow how the foot is treated https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...this-isn’t-bumble-foot.1565527/#post-26567601

Do you see bugs crawling on the bird?
If you feel he has lice or mites, then get a Permethrin based poultry dust and dust him and any birds that arrived with him. Repeat treatment in 5-7 day intervals.

How old is he?

Back
Top Bottom