what will happen if i feed ducks just corn?

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
and is cracked or whole corn better? (i know other people who feed just this, and treats, and their ducks are perfectly fine)

What would happen if you were fed corn your whole life? You'd probably be malnourished, corn does not have all the nutrients a duckling needs. Angel Wing, Wet Feather, B3 Deficiency and overall poor health would be likely if a bird was fed a Corn diet. It can be fed as a occasional treat, although layer feed already has enough of it so its not really needed. You can feed whole corn just provide grit.

I've seen birds fed a whole corn diet,they look pathetic. Please don't consider feeding them a whole corn diet just because its cheaper.

What would happen if you were fed corn your whole life? You'd probably be malnourished, corn does not have all the nutrients a duckling needs. Angel Wing, Wet Feather, B3 Deficiency and overall poor health would be likely if a bird was fed a Corn diet. It can be fed as a occasional treat, although layer feed already has enough of it so its not really needed. You can feed whole corn just provide grit.

I've seen birds fed a whole corn diet,they look pathetic. Please don't consider feeding them a whole corn diet just because its cheaper.
the ducklings still have normal duck food, but the adults will just get corn (they free range like 15+ hours of the day so also get lots of bugs and stuff) also i give them mealworms

the ducklings still have normal duck food, but the adults will just get corn (they free range like 15+ hours of the day so also get lots of bugs and stuff) also i give them mealworms

@Duck mommy 2019 , I've seen your other posts, don't you live in a residential type area? Not going to enough bugs for them to get enough adequate protein in their diet, people mow there yard to about 1/4 inch and spray herbicides/insecticides like crazy in development areas. Please don't think I'm trying to be rude, just looking out for your ducks and their well-being.

@Duck mommy 2019 , I've seen your other posts, don't you live in a residential type area? Not going to enough bugs for them to get enough adequate protein in their diet, people mow there yard to about 1/4 inch and spray herbicides/insecticides like crazy in development areas. Please don't think I'm trying to be rude, just looking out for your ducks and their well-being.
we live in a neighborhood, but i have a big pond behind my house that they stay in most of the time (probably about 20ft long and 8 feet wide with lots of grass.) we don’t spray anything in our yard, and they aren’t allowed in anyone else’s yard. and if u don’t mind answering, is cracked or whole better.

we live in a neighborhood, but i have a big pond behind my house that they stay in most of the time (probably about 20ft long and 8 feet wide with lots of grass.) we don’t spray anything in our yard, and they aren’t allowed in anyone else’s yard. and if u don’t mind answering, is cracked or whole better.

I'm not sure. I thought heard whole is better since it retains the white part of the kernel which contains the most nutrients, but I'm not too sure if I made that up or if I heard that a while back, lol. Cracked will be easier for them to digest though. Someone with more knowledge about that topic might chime in.

I don't think I'll be able to change your mind on this will I? You know the risks of feeding them corn as a sole diet, just don't be surprised if they have more problems then well-nourished fed ducks .

Cracked corn is supposed to be easier to break up for them. But it can also make ducks very fat and over weight too. Even with lots of free ranging ducks and chickens fed to much corn tend to gain lots of weight and can get fat pretty fast. Just please be careful.

A lot of people will fed corn in the winter because of the higher fat content help keep them warmer in the winter time.

Cracked corn is supposed to be easier to break up for them. But it can also make ducks very fat and over weight too. Even with lots of free ranging ducks and chickens fed to much corn tend to gain lots of weight and can get fat pretty fast. Just please be careful.

A lot of people will fed corn in the winter because of the higher fat content help keep them warmer in the winter time.
they won’t get too much. they’ll be fed right before bed (after they’ve foraged all day). usually they don’t each much feed anyways and prefer to eat bugs and whatever they can find down by the pond. what are good treats for them, the older ducks are weird and refuse to eat peas and won’t eat live fish (only frozen)

I'm not sure. I thought heard whole is better since it retains the white part of the kernel which contains the most nutrients, but I'm not too sure if I made that up or if I heard that a while back, lol. Cracked will be easier for them to digest though. Someone with more knowledge about that topic might chime in.

I don't think I'll be able to change your mind on this will I? You know the risks of feeding them corn as a sole diet, just don't be surprised if they have more problems then well-nourished fed ducks .
should i do a mix of cracked and whole?

Back
Top Bottom