Where can I buy a stainless steel waterer?

True, but we can still take steps to DRASTICALLY reduce our exposure.
To chemicals? Everything is chemicals.

It strikes me as a bit strange that someone is worried about giving their chickens a plastic water jug because of 'leaching chemicals', but is willing to fill up a water jug for them and pour in bleach, a strong oxidizer - something that is hazardous at much lower levels than the chemicals that some plastics leach. You want to reduce exposure to things that are dangerous in the concentrations you normally run into them - opening the bleach bottle once a day is more dangerous than all the 'metal exposure' your chickens are getting drinking from a galvanized waterer, or all the 'chemicals' coming from your plastic waterer.

Rainbowrooster is right here - if you're worried about plastics, the horse is already out of the barn - chicken food comes in plastic lined bags - even food cans are lined in plastic.

Suzie, if you're worried about water quality, you'd be better served finding a way to keep your chickens from crapping in the water than trying to bleach everything to death. I'd suggest horizontal spring loaded poultry nipples.

To be clear: I'm not the one who puts bleach in the water. I use well water and don't put any bleach in it. This post was not created to debate things. I just wanted to see if anyone out there knows of a company that sells stainless steel waterers. Thank you.

I don't believe there are any companies that do - as there's no need.

I you want one, you're most likely going to have to fabricate one yourself, or have a welding shop make one up or you. I would expect it to cost several hundred dollars - as fabrication time is not cheap ($75+/hr)

To chemicals? Everything is chemicals.

It strikes me as a bit strange that someone is worried about giving their chickens a plastic water jug because of 'leaching chemicals', but is willing to fill up a water jug for them and pour in bleach, a strong oxidizer - something that is hazardous at much lower levels than the chemicals that some plastics leach. You want to reduce exposure to things that are dangerous in the concentrations you normally run into them - opening the bleach bottle once a day is more dangerous than all the 'metal exposure' your chickens are getting drinking from a galvanized waterer, or all the 'chemicals' coming from your plastic waterer.

Rainbowrooster is right here - if you're worried about plastics, the horse is already out of the barn - chicken food comes in plastic lined bags - even food cans are lined in plastic.

Suzie, if you're worried about water quality, you'd be better served finding a way to keep your chickens from crapping in the water than trying to bleach everything to death. I'd suggest horizontal spring loaded poultry nipples.
I do not try to bleach everything to death...and I take exception to your remark...I have read many posts about the use or non use of bleach in water...all of this from well informed users of BYC...I was sceptical about the use of bleach in water for my chickens...I do not as a matter of course of using anything but ACV in water for my chickens..all water is changed at least twice daily and my chickens are very healthy....maybe your name is appropriate...each to their own!

There's no need to insult people. There's also no need to bleach every day if your watering system is set up correctly.

Then you do not need to insult ...I do not " bleach everything to death"...your remarks were inflammatory...I just sent you a response...you really should look at some of the users here to see their take on whether or not bleach may be beneficial...it is for each and every individual to make an informed ( or well informed ) decision...

I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the idea!
No problem.
smile.png

Anyone know where I can buy a stainless steel chicken waterer? I have galvanized right now but worry about metals leaching into the water, plus after just one year of use they are looking pretty ugly inside. I'd like 3-gallon or 5-gallon sizes.
Did you ever find one? Just starting my chicken journey and was looking for a stainless option. I would rather spend more and know that they are not being poisoned, ya know?

Back
Top Bottom