Why did my chick die before hatching? (pictured of eggtopsy)

venymae

Prairie Wind
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Manhappiness, Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
This beautiful little chick obviously didn't make it. Any ideas why? I am very bummed because this was one of my dark eggs and I really wanted chicks from them! They do have very firm membranes and though shells...but I don't know :( This is my first time hatching. I have no experience.

I'm afraid this is the down side of incubating eggs, they don't always make it. There can be many reasons as to why it died in the shell. Temp humidity turning age of eggs prior to setting egg shell quality parent bird health and age. Here is an excellent article on incubation failures and possible causes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems

Good luck with your future incubations.

The temperature or humidity probably didn't stay consistent

That could be. My humidity did have a huge spike when the first four chicks were born. How would I prevent that? Other than that my temps and humidity were spot on.
I'm afraid this is the down side of incubating eggs, they don't always make it. There can be many reasons as to why it died in the shell. Temp humidity turning age of eggs prior to setting egg shell quality parent bird health and age. Here is an excellent article on incubation failures and possible causes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems

Good luck with your future incubations.
Yes, I do realize that not all the little ones will make it - even broody hens lose a couple some times. I was hoping it might be obvious to someone why it died. I will look over the link though. THANKS! Hopefully this was just genetic mishap and nature taking it's course and not me killing it from inexperience.

I'm sure you didn't kill it. Did you have others hatch ok? Was it just the dark eggs you had trouble with? You will always get a humidity spike when a chick hatches. I've had mine hit 90% before when lots of chicks hatch at once. Because the chicks are wet this causes more surface area of moisture therefore causing the humidity to become higher. Good average humidity days 1 - 18 and your eggs should have lost enough moisture and the air sac have grown adequatly. They should have lost enough by day 18 so it can be put up to 65% at lockdown.

Last edited:
That could be. My humidity did have a huge spike when the first four chicks were born. How would I prevent that? Other than that my temps and humidity were spot on.
The humidity going up during hatch should not affect the hatchers. I too have my humidity hit over 90% at times because I start with 75% at the beginning of hatch. If the shells are thicker and less porous it's always possible that the egg didn't loose as much moisture as the others. Did you mark the air cells for comparison?

Yes, I do realize that not all the little ones will make it - even broody hens lose a couple some times. I was hoping it might be obvious to someone why it died. I will look over the link though. THANKS! Hopefully this was just genetic mishap and nature taking it's course and not me killing it from inexperience.
How many did you have hatch total? That one looks like a late quitter. If you had others hatch healthy, then I wouldn't worry. I have never had a 100% hatch. If they are too weak to hatch, nature culls them before you have to. Like Yorkshire said, humidity is going to skyrocket when they start hatching. That is normal, and doesn't hurt anything

The humidity going up during hatch should not affect the hatchers. I too have my humidity hit over 90% at times because I start with 75% at the beginning of hatch. If the shells are thicker and less porous it's always possible that the egg didn't loose as much moisture as the others. Did you mark the air cells for comparison?
Yes, he had a very nice air cell, I actually piped it first at the air cell end (day 23) and opened it slowly (no pictures sorry!) I could see his beak beneath the inner membrane, so he was positioned well. The membrane seemed moist and rubbery, not dry. There was no movement, but I left the egg in just in case he was resting, when I noticed it starting to degrade (day 25) I did the eggtopsy.

I'm sure you didn't kill it. Did you have others hatch ok? Was it just the dark eggs you had trouble with? You will always get a humidity spike when a chick hatches. I've had mine hit 90% before when lots of chicks hatch at once. Because the chicks are wet this causes more surface area of moisture therefore causing the humidity to become higher. Good average humidity days 1 - 18 and your eggs should have lost enough moisture and the air sac have grown adequatly. They should have lost enough by day 18 so it can be put up to 65% at lockdown.

How many did you have hatch total? That one looks like a late quitter. If you had others hatch healthy, then I wouldn't worry. I have never had a 100% hatch. If they are too weak to hatch, nature culls them before you have to. Like Yorkshire said, humidity is going to skyrocket when they start hatching. That is normal, and doesn't hurt anything
We set 12. 1 was an early quitter, 8 hatched, 1 was the late quitter I'm asking about and 2 have still not done anything (day 26 - should I give up on them?). I just feel that 67% is a low hatch rate. These are eggs from our own chickens, clean, healthy 1 yo parents, all fertile eggs, normal egg shape, etc. I did open the bator to grab chicks a few times. Could that have caused it?

Last edited:
Yes, he had a very nice air cell, I actually piped it first at the air cell end (day 23) and opened it slowly (no pictures sorry!) I could see his beak beneath the inner membrane, so he was positioned well. The membrane seemed moist and rubbery, not dry. There was no movement, but I left the egg in just in case he was resting, when I noticed it starting to degrade (day 25) I did the eggtopsy.

We set 12. 1 was an early quitter, 8 hatched, 1 was the late quitter I'm asking about and 2 have still not done anything (day 26 - should I give up on them?). I just feel that 67% is a low hatch rate. These are eggs from our own chickens, clean, healthy 1 yo parents, all fertile eggs, normal egg shape, etc. I did open the bator to grab chicks a few times. Could that have caused it?
67% is three times better than I did my first time. My hens average about 75%. Sometimes they just quit, and there's nothing you could have done to help it. At day 26, I would move on. Anything I have hatched from day 24 on has had health problems, and I have had to cull a few of them. I shut down the incubator late day 23 now, regardless of what is going on

67% is three times better than I did my first time. My hens average about 75%. Sometimes they just quit, and there's nothing you could have done to help it. At day 26, I would move on. Anything I have hatched from day 24 on has had health problems, and I have had to cull a few of them. I shut down the incubator late day 23 now, regardless of what is going on
Well, I took your advice and did eggtopsies on the last two. They were indeed dead
sad.png

#1 might had pipped into a vein (there was some blood, but not tons so I'm not sure) he was properly positioned and seemed properly moist. pip was a tad bit low so that could have been it too.
hu.gif

#2 upside down, internally pipped into fluid end.
barnie.gif

Both had yolk properly absorbed and looked good. So there ends my first hatch....
12 Set
6 hatched normally
2 hatched w/ assistance
1 early quitter
1 late quitter (we don't know why)
1 pipped a vein
1 pipped upside down into fluid end

Thanks for everyone's support! If you even have anymore ideas on my late quitter feel free to post.

Back
Top Bottom