Wil Leghorns and Silkies do well together?

svchic

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
We would like to include leghorn, bantam silkies & bantam sebrights in the our upcoming chick order. Will these 3 types of chickens do well together? I'm hoping the leghorns won't be too aggressive with the bantam chicks. We will also be purchasing red & black stars for this flock.
wee.gif

We are getting 50 chicks total, but we are getting 10 bantams. Do you have any experience with mixing bantams with leghorns? I would love to hear your experience if you do!
thumbsup.gif

my two sebright girls are at the top of the pecking order, then the two white silkies, then the three cochin bantam aka The Andrews Sisters and finally everyone else. My sex-links are above my leghorns...My little silkie roo might take over the top roo from my 'OE'.

I am very sorry, but I have no experience. I have heard that the bantams will group together and protect each other, though. If you get 10+ bantams, just like you're doing, I think that the chicks will do just fine!
smile.png

8Royals, how do the leghorns treat the Silkies? I really appreciate your feedback!
smile.png

The silkie girls stay in the coop alot more than the leghorns, but when they go outside. The silkie girls with push the leghorns aside if they want a treat first. The leghorns are more apt to challenge my sebrights than the silkies. During the summer the silkie girls are out free range with the best of them. Mine might get along better because they have a 12 X 24 coop and three acres to free range. One silkie is very much in charge of the other silkie. the leghorns I have are all hens. So cannot coment on a leghorn roo with a silkie roo. My larger roos leave the silkies and sebrights alone, but will go after my cochin hens to breed.

Last edited:
85...69 are hens and 16 are roos. I am introducing 7 polish (4 Hens and 3 Roos) to the group end of this week. 29 hens and 9 roos are 6 months old. 40 hens and 7 roos are 3 months old. the sebrights, polish, cochin and silkies are 6 months old, maybe even closer to 8-9. Those I got from someone else so age is different. They are older than the others for sure, but how much I know not.

Ok. Thank you so much! Did all of your chickens transition well?

Back
Top Bottom