Wild Baby Ducks - Mom Hit By Car! Update

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
A friend of mine was driving on the freeway and saw a dead Mallard surrounded by about 10 babies in the middle of the road
sad.png
. He and another car pulled over and moved dead mom into the grass away from the road. Then he went home (not far) and called me for advice. He said the ducklings were only a couple inches tall and looked very young. I suggested getting a box and a fishing net to try to catch them, then taking them to the wildlife care center. He went back w/his wife to try to catch them, but they were too fast and too camoflaged and the brush was too dense for them to get close. Question - Do they have a chance? Will Dad step up and keep them warm and safe? Should we keep trying to catch them? My friend is really concerned, and I'm starting to be as well!
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
Quote:
They don't help at all? If true, what a BUMMER! Any suggestions on how to catch the babies? Could they survive overnight w/out mom's warmth? I just want to
barnie.gif
! Feeling so helpless sucks!

Quote:
I agree, I would try to find as many as possible and try to save them. Sorry they are not helping with hiding and such. I would also place some food by the mother for them. Also try a duck call to see if they will respond and come out of hiding

Quote:
I agree, I would try to find as many as possible and try to save them. Sorry they are not helping with hiding and such. I would also place some food by the mother for them. Also try a duck call to see if they will respond and come out of hiding

I would contact a rescue group. You could also put food right near the mom in a box and hopefully they will go in, eat the food and you've got them in the box!

Good luck, keep us posted.

Quote:

I would contact a rescue group. You could also put food right near the mom in a box and hopefully they will go in, eat the food and you've got them in the box!

Good luck, keep us posted.

My friend bought some birdseed w/corn and oats in it and scattered it in the area a couple hours ago. I'm going to follow them in my car so I can see exactly where they were last seen. LOVE the duck call idea, but I don't have one - but I can make ok duck noises (I have a couple ducks @ home). Hopefully, between the 3 of us, we can catch a few. The rescue group only takes calls till 5pm. It's now 5:43. I don't think this is going to be easy at all!
Thanks for y'all's input!

Anyone you know have a female Call duck to call them? I have used one of my females to call another Call out that was hiding before...the duck call would also be an idea. But if you can get a female Call all alone she will almost certainly call out.

I'd say there is little hope they will survive without the warmth of their mother. You could maybe try setting up a lamp close to the mother to draw them out if you have one that can plug in, like from a car? I have worked as a wildlife rehabillitator before and we used to get in baby Mallards. There is little hope for them if you can't get them.
sad.png

ETA: I'd maybe take one of your females along to quack, that might help.

Last edited:
I have had this happen twice to me first time the mother duck was trying cross a freeway and got hit My friends and I were able to catch them. But one got lost in my care and died and oh it was stinky for month.

Then on my way work couple years ago saw the hen dead on the road and babies were in the water I tried to get them but they went into some tall weed and I wasn't able to find them:(

Back
Top Bottom