WOW! I got an incubator!

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
A really nice homemade one for only $10 ... and it was even hand-delivered!
jumpy.gif

What a great world, eh? Just put your thoughts out into the ether, and things come right to you.

yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

I am not going to get eggs right away though... I don't want to jump the gun --
old.gif
must plan everything out very carefully

I'm still looking for a laying hen.

smile.png

smile.png

yeah, I got it from a teenager who built it and hatched eggs for a project. His dad has the chickens on his farm now.

It's a big red plastic cooler - very tight with good vent holes, 2 thermometers, glass viewing top, the light bulb set-up, water container, 2 wire shelves, etc.

I will carefully clean, sanitize and do any minor repairs that need to be done, like the caulking around the glass. It's been out of use for a full year.

There's enough room for 20 or so eggs.

All I need is a humidity thingy and we'll be good to go at whatever point we are ready to get eggs!

I can't believe it!
ya.gif

Last edited:
One thing I am thinking about...

Make this incubator a sort of 'community' 'bator -- to help others who want to hatch eggs but don't have one of their own.

I could hatch eggs for people for a small fee (if I'm good at it, that is!)

I feel lucky!
wink.png

Last edited:
sorry... I don't have a digital camera (yet!) But there are lots of pictures and videos on the Internet about making them.

It's a coleman, like this:
http://www.scheelssports.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/sku/full/07650133999_F.jpg

Stands on its end and opens like a cupboard. Glass covers the big cut-out of the lid so you can sit and look in.

The back holds the light bulb apparatus. The emptying spigot has been drilled through for ventilation and sits at the top.

It has 2 wire shelves going across the lower and middle sections of the box.

A dish sits on the bottom for water, and the bottom is shaped so that you can fill it with water if a dish is not enough.

A box thermometer is mounted right under the glass, and it has a smaller one to place on the bottom or on the wire shelving as needed.

It did not come with a humidity thing, so I'll have to get one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom