Year old duck died

Djjwelch

Hatching
Mar 13, 2020
One of my almost 1 year old khaki campbell ducks just died. She was fine this morning and this afternoon. We have a spring fed pond that they swim on all day, and when I came outside tonight to put them in the coop I saw her laying in the water at the edge. I went and picked her up and she was totally limp. She didn't quack or squirm. I brought her in and put her in the tub with some epsom salt/charcoal/ drench water. She was twitchy, and her breathing was labored. She made a weird clicking sound when she tried to breathe. Then about an hour later she passed. Any idea what it was? I'm terrified for my other ducks now. I never want to go through this again. Thanks!

One of my almost 1 year old khaki campbell ducks just died. She was fine this morning and this afternoon. We have a spring fed pond that they swim on all day, and when I came outside tonight to put them in the coop I saw her laying in the water at the edge. I went and picked her up and she was totally limp. She didn't quack or squirm. I brought her in and put her in the tub with some epsom salt/charcoal/ drench water. She was twitchy, and her breathing was labored. She made a weird clicking sound when she tried to breathe. Then about an hour later she passed. Any idea what it was? I'm terrified for my other ducks now. I never want to go through this again. Thanks!
Sorry for your loss :hugs it realy sucks losing a little pal like that

How many male vs female ducks do you have?

Sorry for your loss ! :hugs

Could you explain your whole setup a bit more ? Have you had any problems with her in the past ?

Sorry for your loss :hugs it realy sucks losing a little pal like that

How many male vs female ducks do you have?
I had 8 females and two males. One male and 7 females were khaki Campbell and one male and one female blue runner.

I had 8 females and two males. One male and 7 females were khaki Campbell and one male and one female blue runner.
Okay not too bad then, i came home to a similiar situation and lost a hen, my neighbor told me he watched my drake drown her... i dunno who i more mad at, the drake or my neighbor.

All the other ducks seam totaly okay? did it seam like mabye she was over mated?
@Miss Lydia might be able to help in the morning

@MasterOfClucker any ideas?

Labored breathing makes me think it might be egg related, Has she been laying often ? Do you provide a source of calcium ? Did she have a upright posture near the pond ?

Okay not too bad then, i came home to a similiar situation and lost a hen, my neighbor told me he watched my drake drown her... i dunno who i more mad at, the drake or my neighbor.

All the other ducks seam totaly okay? did it seam like mabye she was over mated?
@Miss Lydia might be able to help in the morning

@MasterOfClucker any ideas?
I had a duck like that from over mating too, but you could tell she had water in her lungs :( she didnt make it through the night

Back
Top Bottom